Thread: Para Ordnance P14-45

Junior Cadet

Cool Para Ordnance P14-45

Went looking at our local Gunshow yesterday for a 1911. Ended up with a Para P14-45, with beavertail, extended slide stop/safety, Houge rubber finger groove grips, wilsons bushing, combat hammer, adjustable LPA dovetail rear sights with screw adjustment for windage and elevation white outline rear and white blade on front. Front is NOT dovetailed. Slide has serrations only on the rear, like the Government Model I carried for 16 years as an MP before they switched us to the Beretta 92. All the accesories, except the sights, are in stainless, the slide is shiny blue, frame is matte. I got it with 2 mags for $425 out the door, no background check or ATF paperwork. Not sure if it is a good deal or not, but I think so after googling them used and on GunsAmerica. The bluing on the slide shows wear, the barrell seems in good shape. Never owned a Para before, hoping somebody could give me some insight on the reliability/quality of the Para Ordnance pistols. The serial number on this one is PL3303, slide marked on the right side "P14-45", left side is merely "Para-Ordnance". Any thoughts/help would be gratefully acknowledged. If this is a POS, would like to hear that too. I am pretty thick skinned. I know everyone would LOVE to have a Colt, but they have soared out of my price range. Every 1911 I was issued throughout my Army career was made by someone other than Colt, one was even a Singer. Anyway, have at me!
    Last edited by loboft; 01-16-2012 at 07:12 PM.

Para doesn't make a P.O.S. weapon. The only problem I have with the P14 45 is the size. It's main purpose was to be a duty issued weapon for leo's it's like a brick. If you bought it to put in your nightstand for home defense you'll be happy. If you bought it as a carry piece you'll be disappointed. My buddy bought one and he ended up selling it after a few months because it was simply too big.

Junior Cadet
    Yeah, I am a retired LEO, and it will be used mainly for home defense and plinkin at the range. Gonna get an Officer's Model, or equivalent for carry. Just wasn't sure about Para quality. Looking on Google, think I got a good deal. I'll post pix later. Maybe I can send the slide to Tim for a park job. Not sure if he does pistols, but the frame is basically good. Bluing on the slide needs a little work. And, btw, Big Twin, I also ride an '03 FLHTC Anniversay Edition. LOVE the big twins...
    Last edited by loboft; 01-16-2012 at 07:11 PM.

From the description, you have an older P14; I have a P14-45 LDA with the same front sight arrangement that I bought over a decade ago. It runs perfectly when fed from good magazines. A lot of what you hear about newer Paras being unreliable won't apply to you, except that Para magazines aren't the best in the box (and I have a box of them to prove it) and the frame/slide finish leaves something to be desired in terms of durability. Mec-Gar mags run well, though. I don't know about your area, but in my neck of the woods, that would be a screaming deal.

Junior Cadet
    Thanks, Grumpy, for the info. I ordered a Mec-Gar today to go with the 2 mags that came with the weapon. Midway has them on sale for $22 until the 31st, btw. Got a LEO friend checking the serial to see if this is hot. Deal just seems to be TOO good, lol.

Para makes a good double stack 45. If you got one for $425 that was a smoking deal as mine was over a grand (competition model). The Mec Gar mags are decent but every so often I get one that needs a little TLC on the feed lips (bending).

I have a hawg 9 & a Warthog in .45acp.
    Both had feed problems, until I polished the feed ramps & lubed the
    lnside of the mags.Now they eat everything like pigs should.
    Μολὼν λάβε
    VFW life member.
    NRA life member.