Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Game, you be the gun repairmen

Talking New Game, you be the gun repairmen

Okay, I'd like to start a new game for all to play. I'll tell you about some crazy ass job that came into my shop and what was wrong with that particular rifle. You all can try and diagnose the problem and solve it if you'd like. I see lots of crazy stuff here and thought some of you might enjoy solving some of these puzzles. I'll let you all ask me any questions you'd like and give the answer within 5 days of posting.

I had an M1 Garand come into the shop Wednesday for a simple repark. The customer had a WRA bolt he also wanted put into the rifle for headspace checking and the rifle test fired. I got the work done, bolt checked out fine for Headspace, and took the rifle to the bench to go bang bang.

I loaded the enbloc with two rounds and the first round fired and ejected with the second round hitting at 10 O'clock on the chamber failing to feed.

I loaded a full enbloc and the first round fired with every single round after that striking 10 O'clock on the chamber failing to feed.

What the heck is wrong with this rifle?

I already know the answer because I fixed it. You all can ask any questions you like and if you know the answer, PM me.

I'll unstick this post after the 5 days.

Hmmm.. Ill go with a defective follower slide assembly.
    Some people are like slinkies.
    They aren't good for much, but they do bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Schriv View Post
    Hmmm.. Ill go with a defective follower slide assembly.
    Okay, you're on record. You didn't even have any fact finding questions, just right to it, brave man.

Did you use the same en-bloc clip for the 2 shots and the 8 shots?
    !

Quote Originally Posted by canes7 View Post
    Did you use the same en-bloc clip for the 2 shots and the 8 shots?

Yes, and then I used a different clip, same result.

It seems that you test fired the rifle with the WRA bolt before you disassembled and parked the rifle. Is that correct ? If so, did you fire one or two rounds ?
    If you loaded and fired only one round,then you don't know if the rifle worked correctly loading the 2nd round before the parking. Then the WRA bolt would be the problem. If two rounds fired correctly before the parking the rifle then the malfunction could be too much park in the follower slide and its binding.
    John

Don't worry if plan "A" fails, there are still 25 other letters in the alphabet.

Looking for S/A bayonets s/n 922033 & 1045220

Proud Member of M1CC #112

I did not test fire the rifle before I parked it, it came as parts. Never heard of to much park in the follower slide but that's another topic

I loaded two rounds for the first test fire AFTER the assembly and including the addition of the WRA bolt. The first round fired and second round nailed the chamber at 10 O'clock. I then loaded a full enbloc and every round, except the first, did the same thing.

I have absolutely no idea how the rifle operated with the other bolt.

Here's a clue, the fix was a matter of thousandths. In fact, maybe 20 thousandths.

Clip latch? Not holding the clip at the correct depth?
    !

Quote Originally Posted by canes7 View Post
    Clip latch? Not holding the clip at the correct depth?

Buzz, sorry canes. The Kid, Stu, knows the answer to this issue as he's the one who identified this common problem to me about two years ago. When this issue rears its ugly head, it can drive you NUTS figuring it out UNLESS you know what to look for.

Op rod bent or bent wrong?
    Bill