Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about barrel tension

Let's talk about barrel tension

I read a lot about setting appropriate barrel tension on Garand barrels. From what I can gather there needs to be around thirty pounds of downward pull on the barrel at the stock ferrule to lower band . Just how critical is this to accuracy and consistency ? My Danish return in a Boyd's stock never had this tension and at one time shot outstanding albeit occasionally inconsistent. Also does anyone still apply Shoe Goo in the gap between the barrel and upper hand guard after removing the sheet metal cage and screwing and epoxying the upper band ? It is my understanding that using Shoe goo or some other elastic urethane product to unitize the hand guard wood to barrel was at one time common practice.I'm not building a JCG match rifle but a Service rifle. Your thoughts please.
    Last edited by singleshotcajun; 01-18-2012 at 08:26 AM.
    Shalom Y'all. "Speed is fine but accuracy is final" Bill Jordan.

Funny you should bring this up. A couple of years ago Tim was dicking around with an adjustable tensioner built to replace the lower band but that project never left the talking stages. Instead of the 30# number he was going for the turn the screw until it groups best/stops stringing idea. The stock channel needed to be relieved and the stock ferrule had to be lowered in the stock. I don't know why the Garand wants downward pressure while everyone else seems to use upward-which is easier to do and I don't understand why it shouldn't dampen harmonics as well. Quite honestly there are only a few guys on the forum that shoot well enough for it to make a difference-Canes, Orlando and a couple of others. Stu
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau

My guess is the force, being upward or downward, reduces barrel vibration. It's kinda the same theroy as playing with the back triggerguard screw on 03's to put more pressure on the end of the barrel.

Anyway, all this stuff (i.e. - gas lock screw stopping at 6:00, barrel tension...etc.) won't make a difference at JCG matches as Punchy said. The gains you get from things like this show at longer ranges and only after you have worked out other, more basic, items like position, loads, trigger control and breathing. All too often you find new shooters trying to tweak their equipment and overlook themselves. I have and I bet most of us have been guilty of that.

Moral to the story: Don't be a gear queer, learn to shoot.
    !

Latley I've read some of Bart Bobbbits notes on match preparing the Garand and according to him the downward pressure is a must. I'll try it when I get my receiver with new barrel back(sending it tommorow) I'll start by lowering the stock ferrule a bit. The rifle in question was purchased from Jim Thompson(another noted Garand author) it had the upper handguard unitized but had no downward pressure on the barrel. My full blown match prepared Garand with a heavy Kreiger barrel has a good bit of downward force on the barrel and it is one of the best shooting rifles I own. This rifle shoots right along with my two National Match AR rifles, nearly pont for point.

I think there is merit to the downward barrel tension theory but I cannot prove it because I have not done the work required to do so. We need a mechanical trigger, serious bench mount device that does not allow for rifle movement in the least, and ONE rifle that we can control both scenarios and isolate exactly one thing, downward pressure. I hear all the theory, I hear all the opinions but I aint seen the evidence.

All I have is anecdotal evidence. I believe that without the tools you speak of and access to a range that'll let you shoot out to 1k yards (OK, at least 500) there will be no way of proving this theroy.
    !

Meanwhile heres a little eyecandy of the Winchester. I bought this one two years ago on Auction Arms from a fellow in Arizona. The story was that an Airforce Armorer built it. I know buy the rifle not the story but the components were worth the price, got it for 850.00. The barrel was as new and the barrel channel in the GI stock needed a little whitteling but it is a real shooter and feel like it was a steal. I did de bling the stainless barrel with Brownell's Alumihyde in flat black, hate the look of stainless.

http://s84.photobucket.com/albums/k3...20NM%20Garand/

In my local non CMP affiliated club we shoot at 100 yards using less than desirable targets for iron sights. Even at only 100 yards any little bit more consistency is helpful. When I shoot in Service match I usually am shooting against a few National match AR rifles and when I beat one with a Garand it is special.
    Last edited by singleshotcajun; 01-18-2012 at 12:03 PM.

Founding Member Prince Humperdink's Avatar
    SSC,Nice Rifle!I have a question,is the crown on that Rifle flat?
    Ryan
    "The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition, more insurmountable than any which a simple government of any form can admit of." -- James Madison (1788)

The crown on that Kreiger is nearly flat. It does not have a traditional crown. Looks weird but shoots great.

So I just tore down my JCG Garand, there is exactly 0 downward tension on the barrel. How do I know this? There is a gap there. As a matter of fact the lower band isn't even snug on the barrel. The rifle hammers pretty good. So for 200 yard shooting I am convinced all this is BS. I think I'll get a new stock set, barrel band and stock ferrule to test the results.

Anyone have anything to donate to the cause? All my small parts went to the M1FV thing we did a couple years ago!
    !