Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about barrel tension

Take your stock ferule and bend the lips down and out. Take your lower band and squeeze the toes in slightly.

Quote Originally Posted by timshufflin View Post
    Take your stock ferule and bend the lips down and out. Take your lower band and squeeze the toes in slightly.
    Pull down on my lips and camel toe the lower band? Got it!
    !

Singleshot where do you shoot at ?
    M1CC #328

I shoot right on the coast ,Texas City Municipal Shooting Range.
    http://www.texas-city-tx.org/Shootin...otingRange.htm
    We boast one of the finest regulation skeet ranges(if not the most difficult) in the state.It is a fine safe place to shoot and it is almost always WINDY. Our Smallbore matches are interesting due to the wind.If you do not have a windage adjustable rear sight on your .22 rifle it can get real interesting.
    Shalom Y'all. "Speed is fine but accuracy is final" Bill Jordan.

I ordered a new stock set from Dupage today, when I took my JCG Garand apart I remembered that the receiver swam in the stock when I first assembeled it. I still need to get a new lower band, it's not just the tension problem but the one I have is really loose fitting on the barrel. I'm also going to setup the front handguard the way everyone says I should, with the lock stopping at 6:00 and just a small amount of play. So with fixing these problems I should be shooting 110's instead of 98's!
    !

Rather than bend anything why not fit a shim around the horseshoe of the stock ferrule ? When I get my barreled action back I think I may try that.Thinking of Duracoating the hardware(matte black to match the gas cylinder) so with the shim epoxied to the ferrule and the ferrule Duracoated it would not be obvious.
    Shalom Y'all. "Speed is fine but accuracy is final" Bill Jordan.

Quote Originally Posted by singleshotcajun View Post
    Rather than bend anything why not fit a shim around the horseshoe of the stock ferrule ? When I get my barreled action back I think I may try that.Thinking of Duracoating the hardware(matte black to match the gas cylinder) so with the shim epoxied to the ferrule and the ferrule Duracoated it would not be obvious.

Because I don't like my non stainless painted is why I don't shim. Now, that said, there is some hope of shimming and sanding wood to get fitment as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Punch The Clown View Post
    I don't know why the Garand wants downward pressure while everyone else seems to use upward-which is easier to do and I don't understand why it shouldn't dampen harmonics as well.
    The M1A as well as the Garand seem to benafit from tension , here is my take on this:
    The barrel whips when fired and you want it to come back to the same position afetr each shot fired or accuracy will suffer. Tension on the barrel will bring the barrel back to the same position shot after shot
    I dont know anything about 30lbs of pressure, I just squeeze the forearm and the action together. If it springs back thats good enough for me.
    Heres a few things that I can think of that will keep you from having the spring back tension:
    Barrel channel to narrow and barrel is resting on wood
    Rear handgaurd needs wood removed off the bottom
    Stock ferrule needs lowered
    Loose lock up

All this being said I have seen some rifles with hardly any tension shoot really well??

This is all just my opinion , your opinion may vary
    "I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

"Official 2010 Mini-G & 2011 Summer Postal Shoot Biggest Looser"

We'll see O. My JCG rifle had just about everything wrong with it according to "common knowledge". The receiver swam in the stock, there was no barrel tension, the front handguard was too loose.... but I still held a 98%+ average for both orone phases of the JCG match. So with correcting these things I'm interested to see where I shoot now.
    !

That is a sweet looking rifle - love the stock. I think that it looks better with the barrel painted to match. Funny, I don't mind the stainless look on my M1A but it doesn't look right to me on a Garand. Good shooting!
    "Are you my pal, Danny?"