Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Medium grey parkerization

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Humperdink View Post
    would there be any benefit to mixing park solutions?Does Manganese wear differently than zinc,or rather,withstand wear better?Would mixing combine each's qualities and make an uber park?
    I had some parts done by a guy and they turned out a darker grey. I cant remember know what type solution he said he used, but I really liked the color
    "I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

"Official 2010 Mini-G & 2011 Summer Postal Shoot Biggest Looser"

The two parks have different results on the salt water test. This means nothing to us because we aren't doing any beach landings.

Thanks Milboltnut for starting this thread. I've got an SA/IHC receiver that needs some loving. I was going to email Mr. Tim with the same question - does he have the abilility to park the receiver inbetween the light gray of zinc and the coal black of manganese.

Mr. Tim - How many of us would have to order the medium color before it would become economical for you to do it?

-wg
    M1CC Member #111
    NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by wgandy View Post
    Thanks Milboltnut for starting this thread. I've got an SA/IHC receiver that needs some loving. I was going to email Mr. Tim with the same question - does he have the abilility to park the receiver inbetween the light gray of zinc and the coal black of manganese.

Mr. Tim - How many of us would have to order the medium color before it would become economical for you to do it?

-wg

4 rifles per month, for 15 years.

Thanks Tim.....so I won't be holding my breath on that option......
    M1CC Member #111
    NRA Member

All phosphating comes out light or dark grey. If you cover it with green-colored grease, it will turn green. I once turned a freshly blued gas cylinder set green by putting green grease on it.

Winchester used Picric Acid on the metal before phosphating, which is why their finish came out so light. It probably turned green when packed in cosmoline.

Phosphate mix will yield a light grey color; whereas manganese will yield a darker grey-black color. There are pre-dips available that will come out black. The disadvantage of the light grey is that the parts will come out different shades, depending on the hardness of the metal; hard metal will come out light, & softer metal will come out dark.

If you mix the light grey phosphate with the darker manganese, you will get a medium grey.
    Last edited by The Garand Guy; 01-21-2012 at 09:22 AM.
    The Garand Guy
    garandguy.com

Patriot
    What about the "green" WRA park? How was that acheived? Anyone know?

Patriot
    Dan, that 2 tone park is hot! What did you use in the lettering to get it to stand out?

Quote Originally Posted by KnickKnack View Post
    Dan, that 2 tone park is hot! What did you use in the lettering to get it to stand out?
    China White marker. I bought them from eBay. They were 2 for $1 delivered. That was at least 6 years ago I got 'em, I've only used 10% of one.
    !

Quote Originally Posted by timshufflin View Post
    The two parks have different results on the salt water test. This means nothing to us because we aren't doing any beach landings.
    Or are we?