Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice and opinions wanted.

Advice and opinions wanted.

I'm getting a hankering to own a M1A. Take what I know about them and add a couple of dollars and I might be able to get a cup of Java.

I'm going to start researching so that I can make a somewhat educated purchase. While I'm doing that any advice or opinions as to what to look for or what to look out for would be appreciated.

I don't plan on shooting competitions with it but as with my garands that I shoot I really would like for the limiting factor on accuracy to be me and not the rifle.

762mmfirearms offers a hammer forged receiver - any opinions about it? should I stay with Springfield or Armscorps? I'm not looking to build up a rifle but I'm open to that if you all think that's a better way to go.

Help!!!
    M1CC Member #111
    NRA Member

I don't know to much about them.I have springfield arms inc.
    Made in 1984 as a whole complete rifle.
    That's one thing about SAI they have records and can tell you what configuration your serial number was and when it left the factory.
    It shoots better than I can.
    LP
    Μολὼν λάβε
    VFW life member.
    NRA life member.

My friend built two M1A's with kits from CMP. One on a HRA receiver and one on a 7.62 forged receiver that he bought at Camp Perry. He had no problems with the HRA receiver. However, the 7.62 receiver was out of spec. The rear of the bolt near the firing pin was binding in the receiver. The oprod was also binding in the track. All the parts were USGI except for the 7.62 receiver. My friend had to send the completed rifle to 7.62 and they fixed it free of charge. He said if he builds a 3rd rifle, or just buys a completed rifle he will go with SAI or Fulton Armory.

My guess would be that if you buy a completed rifle from 7.62, all the bugs would be worked out at the factory. I would avoid buying a 7.62 receiver and building a rifle.
    John

Don't worry if plan "A" fails, there are still 25 other letters in the alphabet.

Looking for S/A bayonets s/n 922033 & 1045220

Proud Member of M1CC #112

Personally I would look for a older used SAI M1A. The older M1A's have mostly USGI parts, the newer rifles have commercial parts and seem to be prone to some issues. From hanging out in various forums that cater to the M1A it sounds like SAI's quality control is slipping. The upside is SAI has a great warrenty but if any part breaks they seem to want you to ship the whole rifle back for repair which would be a hassle.
    There are deals out there on used rifles, I would take my time and look
    JMO
    "I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

"Official 2010 Mini-G & 2011 Summer Postal Shoot Biggest Looser"

Thanks everyone for the advice and opinions. That's what I'm wanting.

I've noticed that some M1A's have stainless steel barrels. What are the positives and negatives of those barrels?

What barrel makers should I be looking for and which ones should I avoid?
    M1CC Member #111
    NRA Member

I had a brand new Standard Walnut last year. It was all SAI parts. Ran like a watch, only a couple of FTE's - traced it to the ammo that I was using. Somebody I knew was lusting for it so I found him a barely fired Loaded model with a stainless steel barrel. He still liked mine better so I sold it to him and I kept the barely used one. As it turned out, the Loaded was built during the '90s and has all Winchester parts except the barrel. Even the fiberglass stock was painted USGI. Shoots well but both of them showed distinct preferences for good quality milsurp ammo or handloads. Cheap .308/7.62 was not as accurate. Use USGI or magazines made by CMI. They work the best.
    "Are you my pal, Danny?"

Thanks melloman. I appreciate the information.

All others opinions and information wanted too.
    M1CC Member #111
    NRA Member

Need more help. I think I understand that if the M1A is headspaced correctly that it can fire both the 7.62x51 and the .308 WIN ammo. Never having dealt with these calibers and rifles what is the difference? Can the M1A shoot both or is it limited to one or the other?

Thanks,
    wg
    M1CC Member #111
    NRA Member

Founding Member Prince Humperdink's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wgandy View Post
    Need more help. I think I understand that if the M1A is headspaced correctly that it can fire both the 7.62x51 and the .308 WIN ammo. Never having dealt with these calibers and rifles what is the difference? Can the M1A shoot both or is it limited to one or the other?

Thanks,
    wg
    Wayne,
    You can shoot .308 and 7.62 nato in .308,but it is not recommended the other way around.The reason for this is that 7.62 chambers are longer to account for military use such as high heat from firing and dirt,and such.7.62 nato cases are thicker to compensate for the stretch,and .308 MAY run the risk of separation from the thinner wall stretching to fill the longer chamber upon firing....that being said,lots of Guys do it,but I won't.I only use 7.62 nato brass in My Rifle as it is in spec for 7.62.This is all stuff I just learned,so I hope it helps You.
    Ryan
    "The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition, more insurmountable than any which a simple government of any form can admit of." -- James Madison (1788)

I would pick up a GI barrel, get a CMP parts kit because they're all GI, and build it on an LRB receiver. Let me tell you. I am very fussy and the LRB is a beautifully machined receiver. If I wasn't on my BM62 craze that is what I'd be doing right now.
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau