Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice and opinions wanted.

Ryan - Thanks, that helps a bunch.

Punch - I looked at the LRB's and everything that I've heard about them is top notch like you said. Thanks for the info.

Questions:
    I change out my own garand barrels. Will the CMP barrel vise work on a M1A barrel? I'm assuming you use the same principle as with the garand to index it?

Thanks,
    wg
    M1CC Member #111
    NRA Member

This isnt to far out of line since its a early all USGI rifle , maybe he will deal alittle
    http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=66261
    "I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

"Official 2010 Mini-G & 2011 Summer Postal Shoot Biggest Looser"

Bill - Thanks for the heads up. I'll check it out. -wg
    M1CC Member #111
    NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by jak View Post
    My friend built two M1A's with kits from CMP. One on a HRA receiver and one on a 7.62 forged receiver that he bought at Camp Perry. He had no problems with the HRA receiver. However, the 7.62 receiver was out of spec. The rear of the bolt near the firing pin was binding in the receiver. The oprod was also binding in the track. All the parts were USGI except for the 7.62 receiver. My friend had to send the completed rifle to 7.62 and they fixed it free of charge. He said if he builds a 3rd rifle, or just buys a completed rifle he will go with SAI or Fulton Armory.

My guess would be that if you buy a completed rifle from 7.62, all the bugs would be worked out at the factory. I would avoid buying a 7.62 receiver and building a rifle.
    Wait, your friend got a HRA M14 receiver? How'd he do that? "Once a machine gun, always..." If he has one, lucky fella... I know there were some semi HRAs that were match rifles from what I read, but...

My CMP "A" kits going to be an LRB. I will be ordering the rec/bolt in the next week or so, methinks.
    Mike
    "When it's time to shoot, SHOOT, don't talk!" -- Tuco

Founding Member Prince Humperdink's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeet6 View Post
    Wait, your friend got a HRA M14 receiver? How'd he do that? "Once a machine gun, always..." If he has one, lucky fella... I know there were some semi HRAs that were match rifles from what I read, but...

My CMP "A" kits going to be an LRB. I will be ordering the rec/bolt in the next week or so, methinks.
    Mike
    I do know of a case where a TRW NM M14 Receiver was allowed to be owned By a non class 3 holder.I believe it was in a past GCA journal.This was allowed after a battle in court and only because it was manufactured as a National Match Receiver.I'll see if I can find the journal.
    Ryan
    "The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition, more insurmountable than any which a simple government of any form can admit of." -- James Madison (1788)

Cadet
    Quote Originally Posted by Punch The Clown View Post
    I would pick up a GI barrel, get a CMP parts kit because they're all GI, and build it on an LRB receiver. Let me tell you. I am very fussy and the LRB is a beautifully machined receiver. If I wasn't on my BM62 craze that is what I'd be doing right now.
    Pretty much this. Odd the rest of you didn't recommend the same.
    "All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."
    W. Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
    Personally I would look for a older used SAI M1A. The older M1A's have mostly USGI parts, the newer rifles have commercial parts and seem to be prone to some issues. From hanging out in various forums that cater to the M1A it sounds like SAI's quality control is slipping. The upside is SAI has a great warrenty but if any part breaks they seem to want you to ship the whole rifle back for repair which would be a hassle.
    There are deals out there on used rifles, I would take my time and look
    JMO
    This is also what I would recommend also .
    M1CC #328

Orlando,

Tried sending you a PM but your box is full. Please contact me (either PM or email). I've got a question for you.

Thanks,
    Wayne
    [email protected]
    M1CC Member #111
    NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by wgandy View Post
    Orlando,

Tried sending you a PM but your box is full. Please contact me (either PM or email). I've got a question for you.

Thanks,
    Wayne
    [email protected]
    Done, PM sent
    "I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

"Official 2010 Mini-G & 2011 Summer Postal Shoot Biggest Looser"

The CMP barrel vise and wrench do not work on an M1a. You have "shim" em.