Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A different kind of project

A different kind of project

I've always wanted a "big TV". All my friends had big TV's and I just couldn't be left out. So when we bought our house I had specified that there be one room that I get to setup a big TV in. I also like to play video games, not as much as I used to, but I still like it. I used to play games on my PC. In recent years though I have neglected my desktop PC in favor of using a laptop. So when looking into upgrading my desktop PC's hardware in order to get back to playing PC games the cost vs. return was just not there. So I looked into console gaming.

I'm about 90% done. I need to hide the speaker wires, that's going to have to wait until I can flex an contort myself again (back trouble). Here is what I cam up with:

I ended up with almost 110" of screen. I had it at 120" but it was just too big for the size of the room. I learned that while playing SOCOM 4 having a large screen can be a disadvantage because you have to swing the rifle too far.

I put up an equipment rack in the closet to hold all the electronics in an out of the way place. I am going to need to put an exhaust fan in there to handle the heat. I have not found one quiet enough yet.

Lights and seating...We shopped for the furniture at a couple places going out of business and got really good deals. The lights I put on remote control dimmers. You can see the open crawl space in the wall. There are crawl spaces on both sides so it will be easy to hide the wiring. I was also contemplating putting in a dorm fridge, recessed in the wall, for obvious reasons. Since this room is right above the garage I was also thinking of putting in an "empty chute" for the empty bottle and cans that will end in the recycling bin.

I took these pics with my iPhone and they came out a bit blurry, but I think you get the idea.
    !

Looks cool !!! Where's the popcorn ?
    John

Don't worry if plan "A" fails, there are still 25 other letters in the alphabet.

Looking for S/A bayonets s/n 922033 & 1045220

Proud Member of M1CC #112

I feel no envy for the big TV crowd. I have 2 TVs and they have picture tubes. As long as they work, I will spend my money on guns and ammo.

Mike

I love big TV's and spend money on the latest and greatest when I can. My current is a 55 flat but I'd like to go bigger but not a projection type. I'm considering 3D but can't stand the batter life I'm seeing on the current glasses. I'm afraid I'm going to wait a bit longer on that technology. My room is not so dedicated as yours so that's why no projection. I really like your setup though Canes.

Thanks....I skipped the 3D. I did not think that wearing glasses was conducive to relaxation. I'm guessing holographic TV's are going to be mainstream in the next 10 years or so. So I saved a few bucks, went with last years technology and will be happy for a long time with what I have.

When this is done, back to shooting!
    !

Wow, that's nice when shall I stop by for a movie and a brew?
    Bill

Great looking set-up. Tell me about those comfortable looking chairs.
    "You may find me one day dead in a ditch somewhere. But by God, you'll find me in a pile of brass." - Trooper M. Padgett

Founding Member
    Now I see what you were talking about yesterday! Nice set-up. I agree about needing a "whirlypop"type popcorn machine.

Dayum! All my TVs have picture tubes and no surround sound and such.
    Photobucket

"Opinions are like a$$holes. Everybody has one and everyone else's stinks."

Cal30M1 , Garbageman Supreme

Does your closet border the outside wall and the roof?

You might consider running a duct through the roof with a fan on the outside, to reduce the noise. One of those spinning vent jobbies would work too.