Thread: Anyone have any experience with 5 -10 rd 223/ 5.56 mags ?

Anyone have any experience with 5 -10 rd 223/ 5.56 mags ?

I am looking for steel mags that fit nearly flush with the mag well. Anyone have any real life experience with 5 or 10 round mag manufactures?
    How far does a 10 rd mag extend past the well?
    Thanks guys
    "I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

"Official 2010 Mini-G & 2011 Summer Postal Shoot Biggest Looser"

"O" I haven't used any 10 rd mags, but have a couple of 5 rd Bushmaster mags. Heavy built steel mag (way overpriced ) In Oklahoma can't have a mag that holds > 7 rounds when hunting with a 223/5.56 rifle. One of two mags worked like a dream right out of box, the one in picture didnt fit well at all! I ended up using steel wool to remove a great deal of the finish and then had to use a hammer and punch to ( for lack of a better term) compress a few high spots on the mag. Then she worked fine!
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket

5 rounder protrudes about a 1/2" from bottom of well. I like using them because they tend to slow down my use of ammo!

Midway has 5 round Magpul mags listed, but on backorder. Whenever they get some in stock I intend to buy about 5 or 6 of them. I really like the Magpuls I have now.
    Last edited by tljames; 05-25-2011 at 04:03 PM.
    Have you ever heard anyone complain about having ammo left over after a gunfight?"

Now while I have your attention, when I ordered my Leupold rings for the AR. Leupold's mounting chart showed this ring for the Mark AR 3x9x40 scope. $150.00 later and I get what you see in the pic. WAY TOO TALL for my liking. So you being the "black rifle" guru, do you have any suggestions for a GOOD steel ring that would lower the scope about a 1/2". A guy could drive a truck underneath my setup! Thanks "O" Thomas
    Have you ever heard anyone complain about having ammo left over after a gunfight?"

I'm no Black Rifle expert, not by a long shot.
    I'm wondering if they didnt send the wrong rings or the chart is wrong. Looks like Tall rings and you should be able to get away with mediums. I have a set of Burris Extreme Tactical medium rings and my 50 mm scope clears (just barely).They arent steel though but aluminum but are super heavy duty with 6 screws. Any brand rings in medium height should work fine
    I think I'm set on a 5rd mag for bench rest shooting. Thing is they are pricey and you hear people having problems with them. Guess I need to bite the bullet and order a Armalite mag
    Last edited by Orlando; 05-25-2011 at 05:08 PM.
    "I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

I've got a 10 rounder I use for coyote hunting, and it's perfect. I can shoot prone with my bipod and it won't get in the way.
    NRA Life Member
    ISRA Member
    M1CC Member #144
    Certified FFII

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined.... O sir, we should have fine times, indeed, if to punish tyrants, it were only sufficient to assemble the people!"

Thanks O! I'll get a set of medium rings. Once I "modified" the fit of that one mag I've never had an issue with mis feeds jamming or anything. Like I said and I agree with you. Bench shooting I really like the 5 rounders! Yet they are expensive! Good Luck and Have fun! Thanks for advice! Thomas

I looked at the picture again and man those rings really are tall.
    They may even be extra tall height.
    I told you wrong earlier, thats a differnt set of rings on my 50mm scope but I really think medium height should work fine for you.
    Thanks for the info on the mags

One more thing:
    Hows your cheek weld with those tall rings? If it fits you now and you get the lower rings you may not be happy. Something to think about

It isn't natural feeling for me. I feel like a turkey "peeping" over a log trying to get full eye relief! I can't just shoulder the weapon and have full circle without making adjustments! It's rather annoying. Thought I might buy a cheek rest pad, but don't find anything that intrests me. So I ordered a set of Burris med XTR rings from Midway.

My solution was this:

Magpul Adj stock kit complete $115
    Magpul Clip on cheek riser $ 19 These come in 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 rise height. Pictured is the 3/4. Perfect for carry handle mounted scope

A super adjustable stock will be about $250

WHERE GOOD PEOPLE HAVE GUNS, EVIL DARES NOT TREAD. Mark Muller