Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910

Thread: Garand historical guardianship

Founding Member
    I think on the coldest night of the winter each year we should go outside and pee in the barrels and all over the action of our Garands in memory of those who had to do this in order to thaw their rifles. Amen. Rick B
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by herrmann View Post
    None of us were at Springfield when the M1 was being made. How about if an otherwise correct NFR was found to have a short-fork follower rod? This would not be "Correct" according to current wisdom. Yet it could be nothing more than that a box of them was found somewhere. Under a bench ? Lost in Inspection ? Today's assessments are a "Best Guess" and nothing more.

You can tie s/n range to barrel date to cartouche. Beyond that, ?
    Absolutely correct! Makes the world of collecting somewhat "madenning" at times. This sort of scenario happened and more than once. "Best Guess" is so appropriate. Key is that (from a collecting standpoint) we are not blind to something not matching the book. Nothing is absolute. Just because it doesn't match the books and is not "correct" does not mean it is wrong.

Founding Member
    Can anyone tell me if any other threads (ignore the obvious "nekked women" types) have had this much interest/posts?

It's a good discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by cuppednlocked View Post
    Can anyone tell me if any other threads (ignore the obvious "nekked women" types) have had this much interest/posts?

It's a good discussion.
    I don't know, I would like to point out that often times (CMP Forum and others) cooler heads never prevail and arguments (discussions) get overly emotional at times...this topic included.

It is a good discussion, and when things can bounce around the philosophical and avoid the emotional...never know what twists and turns it can take.

War Room Ready
    Slightly OT, but the ones I like on the CMP forum are about whether you should sell them or not. (Much less at a profit!)

My view.

I have 3 M1s I will not fire. Two "new" post-war rifles, one SA and one HRA and a restored Gas Trap. I would likely shoot the Gas Trap if the gas cylinder was not cracked.

"New" M1s are uncommon and quite frankly not much different than well-worn versions when it comes to firing them so I fail to see the charm in firing an as-new one since it really won't be much different than your garden variety racker. I say leave the new ones new.

On the other hand getting a chance to fire a Gas Trap is a very special treat. I have a second restored rifle with a Gene Barnett barrel and gas cylinder that I shoot fairly often. In fact I'd rather shoot that rifle than any other one in the safe. The only other concessions on that rifle are the firing pin and the op-rod spring. Everything else is correct and original.
    Real M1s have a single barrel spline
    NRA Benefactor Member
    Retired GCA Member

Quote Originally Posted by dan View Post
    My view.

I have 3 M1s I will not fire. Two "new" post-war rifles, one SA and one HRA and a restored Gas Trap. I would likely shoot the Gas Trap if the gas cylinder was not cracked.

"New" M1s are uncommon and quite frankly not much different than well-worn versions when it comes to firing them so I fail to see the charm in firing an as-new one since it really won't be much different than your garden variety racker. I say leave the new ones new.

On the other hand getting a chance to fire a Gas Trap is a very special treat. I have a second restored rifle with a Gene Barnett barrel and gas cylinder that I shoot fairly often. In fact I'd rather shoot that rifle than any other one in the safe. The only other concessions on that rifle are the firing pin and the op-rod spring. Everything else is correct and original.

What do you use for an oprod spring?

Founding Member
    A regular spring will work with it. The Dual spring was just reason to fit the style of rod then later realized they didnt need that type of rod or spring. Rick B
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Rick B View Post
    A regular spring will work with it. The Dual spring was just reason to fit the style of rod then later realized they didnt need that type of rod or spring. Rick B
    Correct. I use a standard "late" spring.
    Real M1s have a single barrel spline
    NRA Benefactor Member
    Retired GCA Member