Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Garand historical guardianship

Founding Member Prince Humperdink's Avatar
    13Fox,You make some excellent points.
    "The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition, more insurmountable than any which a simple government of any form can admit of." -- James Madison (1788)

What is a 3-digit WRA?

Rick, what is a 3-digit WRA? I have never heard that term.
    The Garand Guy
    garandguy.com

Founding Member
    Tony,
    The triplets you have are 3 digits. Yes Winchester started at 100001 the first Winchester made and is called #1. This is another argument I have heard. Most of the time those who have never owned an early WRA call them 6 digits and so own but the collectors I have dealt with call them by the number built instead of designated serial number.

Tim,
    I would like to see you heat treat a set of springs properly so that they work. I am asking for double springs now and they should be square as the original or Keystone shaped. I have seen many people try and no one has succeeded. My understanding is Scott Duff has the original plans with full details on how to make them.

Would I fired an unissued 5.8 mil ?? There are allot of them around or at least in nice condition but would have to own one to see. I would not have the urge to if that is what you are asking. I honestly do not have the urge to shoot ever single weapon I own and do not think i am a conqueror by doing so. There are people who feel they are part of the history when shooting rarities. Rick B
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Rick B View Post
    Tony,
    The triplets you have are 3 digits. Yes Winchester started at 100001 the first Winchester made and is called #1. This is another argument I have heard. Most of the time those who have never owned an early WRA call them 6 digits and so own but the collectors I have dealt with call them by the number built instead of designated serial number.

Tim,
    I would like to see you heat treat a set of springs properly so that they work. I am asking for double springs now and they should be square as the original or Keystone shaped. I have seen many people try and no one has succeeded. My understanding is Scott Duff has the original plans with full details on how to make them.

Would I fired an unissued 5.8 mil ?? There are allot of them around or at least in nice condition but would have to own one to see. I would not have the urge to if that is what you are asking. I honestly do not have the urge to shoot ever single weapon I own and do not think i am a conqueror by doing so. There are people who feel they are part of the history when shooting rarities. Rick B

Rick my friend, I believe we were talking about springs that would WORK, not springs that look correct and work. I think the spirit of the spring thing was that someone would fire the WRA and not worry about the real springs because they'd use another spring. I could care two pieces of dung what the springs look like, I'm saying even a potzer like me could come up with a spring set that will work. We're not putting a man on the moon here, it's just a simple spring system for a simple gun.

So, on the WRA, someone could come up with a different follower rod and spring system all together JUST to fire it. Pretty simple.

On the 5.8, I ask because if one would fire the 5.8 that is absolutely NO different than cutting one up. If you would fire a correct and original 5.8 then one has decided it is okay to destroy history, it's now just a matter of quibbling about how long it should take to make the destruction complete. Be it a chop saw or a bullet down the barrel, the thing is being used up, it's just a matter of time till the thing is gone.

Founding Member
    So you are saying you can make the two springs needed for a Gas Trap or early Winchester and they will function? Folks building the reproduction guns are always looking for these but they would like the flat look to them. Anyone can cut up a working spring to work but no one wants that in-case this is what you are talking about?? Which is it?? Tony G even knows there are no good repo springs out there and I can bet he can make you some good money if you can make them like the originals.

Were talking the difference in having a 67 convertible corvette here and you can't just throw a tarp over it with velcro and call it the same. Rick
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I have sets of repro keystone springs for $100, + $5 shipping. If you try one & are not satisfied, I will refund your money. It's worth a shot.

If you want to make a spring, you must go to a spring manufacturer. They usually want a minimum of 300 pieces, so it runs into money, and you will have all those springs left over.
    Last edited by The Garand Guy; 02-05-2012 at 03:17 PM.
    The Garand Guy
    garandguy.com

Rick, I'm saying I could make a spring that will WORK and NOT springs that look right and work.

Quote Originally Posted by The Garand Guy View Post
    I have sets of repro keystone springs for $100, + $5 shipping. If you try one & are not satisfied, I will refund your money. It's worth a shot.

See, G man already has it covered.

Founding Member
    I have bought Tony's and they do not work that I know of unless he has found a solution?????? Rick B
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The German could make them
    "I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

"Official 2010 Mini-G & 2011 Summer Postal Shoot Biggest Looser"