Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Restoration

Restoration

I just picked up a M1911 Government Model with very worn finish. It appears to be in good mechanical condition. I want it restored to a deep blue finish. Any restoration service recommendations?
    Last edited by DanII; 02-06-2012 at 10:50 AM.

Doug Turnbull is probably the best, but his work isn't inexpensive.
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau

Thanks Punch. How do I contact him?

Dan

Dan, he did work on an 1899 Savage saddle ring carbine for me about 25 years ago-when he wasn't as pricey. Unbelievable quality. He often has a huge display at PA. gunshows. Here's the web address.

http://www.turnbullmfg.com/
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau

Restoration

Thanks for the info Punch.

Turns out, a couple of my friends have firsthand experience with Doug’s work. You are correct when you say he is not inexpensive. Turns out Colt has a restoration service. I gave them a call, liked what I heard, and have decided to send them my pistol for the refinish and minor repair required. The down side is they have a six month turn around.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by DanII View Post
    Thanks for the info Punch.

Turns out, a couple of my friends have firsthand experience with Doug’s work. You are correct when you say he is not inexpensive. Turns out Colt has a restoration service. I gave them a call, liked what I heard, and have decided to send them my pistol for the refinish and minor repair required. The down side is they have a six month turn around.

Dan

Six months isn't that long, you can save up ammo in the meantime.

Cadet
    People want things done fast today. A craftsman takes their time. If it takes two or three years, that's not too long.
    "All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."
    W. Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Fogtripper View Post
    People want things done fast today. A craftsman takes their time. If it takes two or three years, that's not too long.
    Who would want to spend $300000.00 to re-blue a gun?

You're right - six months isn't a long time. I guess I have been spoiled by your 5 day turnaround Tim. You have definately set the standard.

Dan

I have a friend that works at colt(black gun side), I also have a 1918 production 1911 looking for some tender loving care. I may just have to see what he can do for me.........

Mike
    Staten Island German Martial Arts (S.I.G.M.A.)
    http://www.sigmanewyork.webs.com/

Time to feed the pigs!!!!!!

The sword of time will pierce our skins
    It doesn't hurt when it begins
    But as it works its way on in
    The pain grows stronger...watch it grin.