Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: My Tax return didn't last till Louisville........ New Toy

Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by seaninmich View Post
    god, I hope you don't think that's anything close to fact. I pray that that was some kind of joke that I just didn't happen to get
    Wait til you get old. You'll understand.

Quote Originally Posted by KnickKnack View Post
    You are welcome. Who got the other $1000 I paid this year?

I hope you're not complaining about paying your share to fund the "common good". $5500 for your portion of the "community chest" seems very reasonable. AS a free man. I'm sure yo're more than willing and happy to do that.

No matter how much they took out of my pay, or how many deductions and credits that I was eligible for, I have never had a return of anywhere close to $4500. Since the kids moved out, I have tried every year to have only the amount that I owe removed from my checks, so that I neither owe nor receive any money at tax time. This year I paid over $5500 in taxes. I know several younger people with families, my kids included, who get back way more than they ever put in because of the way the income tax deductions and credits are structured. One guy at work grossed over $100,000 a year between himself and his wife and still received a tax refund each year of more than they both put into the system. Either H&R Block is cheating or the tax codes favor the young, which they never did when I was young.

seriously? you're going to, in the same breath, tell us that you go out of you way each year to make sure that your withholdings do not exceed your tax liability and then cry because you don't get a return?? LMAO. how sad.

No matter how much they took out of my pay, or how many deductions and credits that I was eligible for, I have never had a return of anywhere close to $4500. Since the kids moved out, I have tried every year to have only the amount that I owe removed from my checks, so that I neither owe nor receive any money at tax time. This year I paid over $5500 in taxes. I know several younger people with families, my kids included, who get back way more than they ever put in because of the way the income tax deductions and credits are structured. One guy at work grossed over $100,000 a year between himself and his wife and still received a tax refund each year of more than they both put into the system. Either H&R Block is cheating or the tax codes favor the young, which they never did when I was young.

You're either drunk, or you have no idea how withholdings and tax liabilities works

Patriot
    seriously? you're going to, in the same breath, tell us that you go out of you way each year to make sure that your withholdings do not exceed your tax liability and then cry because you don't get a return?? LMAO. how sad.
    I was not crying because I do not get a return. I try very hard to pay in exactly what I owe during the year so that I can keep as much of my salary as possible to live on. $5500 is only the Federal Income Tax that I pay. There is also New York State Income Tax. I also pay $5300 in property and school taxes, which increases by about 5% every year. I also pay 8% in sales tax. I am on a fixed income of $48,000. None of this includes any "fees" that I have to pay to New York State for gasoline, vehicle registration, driver's licence, vehicle inspection, ect. If you live in New York, and you are not young, with children under 18, you are paying around 40% or more of your income to the Government.

Such things as Head of Household and Earned Income Credit do not apply to me. Read the tax codes. Almost everything is geared to young familes or people making enough to have investments.

Patriot
    You're either drunk, or you have no idea how withholdings and tax liabilities works
    The last time I had a beer was on Super Bowl Sunday. I maybe have 1 or 2 beers about every 6 months or so.

I paid a tax sevice to do my taxes for about 3 years, then realized that they couldn't help me any more than I could help myself, so I do my own taxes now. Apparently, according to you, they didn't know how withholdings or liabilities worked either.

There is also New York State Income Tax. I also pay $5300 in property and school taxes, which increases by about 5% every year. I also pay 8% in sales tax. I am on a fixed income of $48,000. None of this includes any "fees" that I have to pay to New York State for gasoline, vehicle registration, driver's licence, vehicle inspection, ect. If you live in New York, and you are not young, with children under 18, you are paying around 40% or more of your income to the Government.
    And, as a FREE man, you are FREE to move to a state that does not charge all those fees. You pay those additional taxes because you CHOSE to live/move to/stay in New York. Please do not dig a hole, jump in, pull the dirt in around you, and then complain to me because you can't breathe.

The last time I had a beer was on Super Bowl Sunday. I maybe have 1 or 2 beers about every 6 months or so.

I paid a tax sevice to do my taxes for about 3 years, then realized that they couldn't help me any more than I could help myself, so I do my own taxes now. Apparently, according to you, they didn't know how withholdings or liabilities worked either.

You make no sense. You said "No matter how much they took out of my pay, or how many deductions and credits that I was eligible for, I have never had a return of anywhere close to $4500". The amount that is with held has no impact on your tax liability. You went out of your way to make sure you did not have withholdings in excess of your liability. good for you. Most people do not do that. In fact, many people have ADDITIONAL withholdings taken each week for the sole purpose of getting a large return. I cannot believe you would make such comments to people just for getting some of their withholdings back. I am embarrassed for you

Cadet
    This thread is exactly why I have been staying away from forums the last few years. Just tried to share my new pistol and I get 20 comments about taxes........

Considering the price and the condition, i say you got a smoking deal. Good on ya.
    "You may find me one day dead in a ditch somewhere. But by God, you'll find me in a pile of brass." - Trooper M. Padgett