Thread: IHC at Auction

IHC at Auction

Guys,
    There's an IHC M1 coming up in a few weeks in a big firearms auction. It's a gap-letter, s/n 465489? Barrel is 7-53 LMR. Stock has 2312 in bbl channel. All parts are IHC except the op rod which is SA. Is this in the correct s/n range to maybe have an SA op rod as "original equipment"? It's estimated to sell between $800-$1600. I'm gonna' go and bid on it. Wish me luck. There is also an SA, 400,000 range with flush-nut sights, SA 1-42 barrel. It looks mostly correct (-5 TH, -3 op rod, 8 follower) but an EMcF stock. I can only afford to [maybe] buy one. If you were in my shoes, which one would you opt for? I'm thinking the IHC due to its rarity, but the flush-nut sights aren't exactly plentiful either. I'm leaning towards the flush-nut model as there is a better chance of getting an IHC later than a flush-nut model. Thoughts? Suggestions??
    Thanks
    Jon
    See them here:
    littlejohnsauctionservice.com. Lot #414 (flush-nut Garand) and #493 (IHC Garand) BTW, I do not work for little John's Auction Service. I just live really close by and go by it on the way to-from work. I've dealt with John for over 30 years and know him personally.

musketjon,

It's my opinion the SA op rod on the IHC is not original. When you get a chance to examine it the drawing number on bolt should not start with 65 but should be D or D-. Trigger housing should start with IHC, hammer should start with C-55, elevation knob should be IHC DRC with a W in a hexagon. LMR barrel should be punch marked between the LMR and the beginning of the drawing number. There's a bunch more to look for but these are a few things to look for.

The SA with flush nut sight sounds interesting too.

Whichever way you decide to go I wish you good luck.

-wg

I would go with the 400k with flush nut.
    cheers
    "You may find me one day dead in a ditch somewhere. But by God, you'll find me in a pile of brass." - Trooper M. Padgett

The 400,000 w/flush nut sight went for $1900. The IHC went for $2200. Neither one came home with me. The Mrs said I should've gone to $2500 on the IHC but I told her added to that $2200 is a 15% buyers fee and 8 3/4% sales tax. That would've made it waaaaay too much for any IHC, even this one that only needed to replace the SA op rod to make it 100% correct. There will be others eventually.
    Jon