Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anybody ever been to the Dark Continent?

The wife didn't go. We just photoshoped her in!

Actually, she had a great time. She is not a hunter in any way, shape, or form. She spent a lot of time by herself at the vehicle while we were hunting. She did go on a number of stalks. The accomodations were very friendly for her and the PH we hunted with has remained a friend and he and his wife have visited us a few times since we were there.

I figured that if she bought the hunt for me, I at least needed to take her along!

The kudu is a Cape Kudu and not a Southern Greater and they are considerably smaller than the greater. This one was one of the better ones my PH had taken in hunting his property for over 20 years. Kudu was the top of the list and we spent many days and many stalks on kudu. This was actually one of the easier stalks. Only about a mile and a half up the gut of a slot canyon, probably about 500 feet in elevation gain. He had no idea we were there and I made a single shot at 308 yards with the 375 H&H and made a perfect hit. And one hell of a roar for an echo!!!

Hunt was in Eastern Cape of South Africa and this country is quite safe. I have much desire to hunt Zimbabwe, Zambia, Botswana, and Tanzania and for the most part, as I understand it, safety is truely little concern. If you are always accompanied by your PH, there is no problem whatsoever.

All in all, took ten trophies plus numerous non-trophy animals in nine days of hunting. Spent the last day at Addo Elephant Park.

The gemsbok hunt occured on an old Boer War battlefield and I have a few spent shot shells and Martini rifle cases from the site.

Thanks for posting the pics!!! Very nice
    The owner of my local small town gunshop goes just about every year
    "I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

"Official 2010 Mini-G & 2011 Summer Postal Shoot Biggest Looser"

Quote Originally Posted by LEAD POISON View Post
    Did you mount any??
    Such an opportunity, yet no takers??? I am disappointed.
    "I have absolutely no idea why you would trust something as important as your life to the people on this forum." Fogtripper 1-6-10

I go to central wisconsin about 20 times a year. No zebras,Just a couple dd cups.
    Μολὼν λάβε
    VFW life member.
    NRA life member.

I've never been to the dark continent but my brother went there. Said Detroit was a bummer.

Seriously, very nice pictures...a local gunsmith went to Africa some years ago and showed me his videos. Those animals are so much larger than people think just from watching TV. He killed a Kudu that had to be hauled back in the bed of a truck....
    Doing my part to bankrupt Social Security, one check at a time..

Kudu, Gemsbok, Wildebeest are approximately the size of an average elk.

Shot the zebra on the far side of a creek and it took nine of us to carry across that creek to get it to the vehicle. And it was a small stallion roughly three years of age. They get to be much bigger.

The kudu was a beast to get out too, but I didn't have to take part in that task! But having carried out a number of elk, I know all about what it is like! Fortunately for them, it was a mostly downhill pack out. Them frickin elk always have to be carried up! That's why I seldom decide to shoot them bastards! But my buddy always shoots, so I still have to pack those mothers out!

Did you get a chance to hunt down any mooselimb terrorists, Ivory poachers, etc. or just stuff that couldn't shoot back???
    All kidding aside, that looks like an awesome trip. My wife has bought me a few guns for presents and forced me to go to Tahiti with her, but I didn't get to shoot anything while I was there!!
    Some people are like slinkies.
    They aren't good for much, but they do bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.