Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: M1A buyers remorse

M1A buyers remorse

Two years ago I saved up enough money to buy a National match Springfield(Inc) M1A. It is not a Super match but not the "loaded" model that many dealers claim to be NM. This is the most expensive rifle I own.I have shot it in three matches in the last two years. The first time I shot a 267 of 300, I can easily do better than that with any one of my Mosin Nagants or Enfields.Last year I shot a 279 with it and last month I shot a 276 with it. My Garands and AR 15 A2s shoot circles around this thing.I have tried many different loads and settled in on 41 gr Varget and a Hornady 150 FMJ. I am going to force myself to shoot it the next two months in Service match so that I will have shot it three months in a row.Maybe familiarity will bring the scores up. I do love the rifle and will keep it as it fills a slot(although technically not) in my U.S Service rifle collection but do have serious buyers remorse over it.
    Last edited by singleshotcajun; 03-03-2012 at 09:11 AM.
    Shalom Y'all. "Speed is fine but accuracy is final" Bill Jordan.

Is it because the rifle doesnt shoot well or you arent comfortable with it.
    Does it group off the bench??
    My standard M1A (scoped) is capable on a good day of 10 rds ,1 5/8 group, normal day 2" This is with surplus 7.62 off a bench

"I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

"Official 2010 Mini-G & 2011 Summer Postal Shoot Biggest Looser"

I think it is that I just need to shoot it more and get comfortable with it. I know that just throwing money at something won't make it happen however this M1A has not been a good value and I am frugal to a fault.My frugality is were my buyers remorse comes from. The M1 A is my most comfortable rifle for the Offhand position, I use a ten shot mag and build on the mag, palm to mag bottom and elbow on hip bone. Get a rock solid bone hold this way and very often my Offhand is a better score or at least as good as prone.
    Shalom Y'all. "Speed is fine but accuracy is final" Bill Jordan.

I scoped my M1A with the factory mount and scope and can't for the life of me figure out where my shots are going even at 50 yards. I put the scope on it because it was sold to me with the rifle and my vision is a little fuzzy so I figured that it would be easier to see with optics. I can see better but can't hit a damn thing with it. I feel like going back to irons and trying to work my groups that way.
    "Are you my pal, Danny?"

Quote Originally Posted by melloman View Post
    I scoped my M1A with the factory mount and scope and can't for the life of me figure out where my shots are going even at 50 yards. I put the scope on it because it was sold to me with the rifle and my vision is a little fuzzy so I figured that it would be easier to see with optics. I can see better but can't hit a damn thing with it. I feel like going back to irons and trying to work my groups that way.
    So you cant hit paper at 50yds??
    Move that sucker in to 25yds and go from there
    Set rifle on a rest and try and sight down the barrel to the target then, adjust scope. You must be way out of adjustment
    "I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

Quote Originally Posted by melloman View Post
    Get a laser boresighter and sight in the rifle.
    It will be cheaper in the long run compared to all the ammo you will waste.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoot...3Bcat103924980
    John

Don't worry if plan "A" fails, there are still 25 other letters in the alphabet.

Looking for S/A bayonets s/n 922033 & 1045220

Proud Member of M1CC #112

What's an M1a? I've shot them, parked them, put barrels on em... I just cannot develop any passion for them. I don't find them "cool" and I don't even, nor have I ever, owned one.

Quote Originally Posted by timshufflin View Post
    What's an M1a? I've shot them, parked them, put barrels on em... I just cannot develop any passion for them. I don't find them "cool" and I don't even, nor have I ever, owned one.
    Commie

+1 with Shuff.
    Jon

Founding Member Prince Humperdink's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by timshufflin View Post
    Yeah,well You chop up Garands into little abominations so Your opinion doesn't matter
    "The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition, more insurmountable than any which a simple government of any form can admit of." -- James Madison (1788)