Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: M1A buyers remorse

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Humperdink View Post
    Yeah,well You chop up Garands into little abominations so Your opinion doesn't matter
    If the M1a was worth a crap I wouldn't have to stick my Magazine in a Garand.

Founding Member Prince Humperdink's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by timshufflin View Post
    If the M1a was worth a crap I wouldn't have to stick by Magazine in a Garand.
    Hee Hee Hee.I love The M14 type,but They are still not M1's to Me.I never thought I would say this,but someday I want a mag fed mini G after I seen that camo one that was posted....it was sharp.
    "The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition, more insurmountable than any which a simple government of any form can admit of." -- James Madison (1788)

Quote Originally Posted by timshufflin View Post
    What's an M1a?
    It's a Garand "improved" by committee... sort of like the old joke about how camels came to be.

I have one, but it doesn't have the same feel as the Garand by any stretch of the imagination. It is a little easier to scope then a Garand, that's its biggest redeeming factor to me and my middle-aged eyeballs.

Well, I've shot it in match two months in a row. Second place in Feb and first place this month. I'll shoot it in April's match and put it up for a while. It shoots well enough but it is time for the Garands and Ar's to come out and whip some butt.
    Shalom Y'all. "Speed is fine but accuracy is final" Bill Jordan.

Until I bust for some Lasik I ain't hitting squat.
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau

Try Sierra 155 palma match bullets loaded to the accuracy load recommended in the Sierra load book. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Humperdink View Post
    Yeah,well You chop up Garands into little abominations so Your opinion doesn't matter
    Way to go Humper!!!!! Maybe it's wrong, but I just love it when someone zings Timmah.
    NRA Life Member
    ISRA Member
    M1CC Member #144
    Certified FFII

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined.... O sir, we should have fine times, indeed, if to punish tyrants, it were only sufficient to assemble the people!"

Quote Originally Posted by singleshotcajun View Post
    Two years ago I saved up enough money to buy a National match Springfield(Inc) M1A. It is not a Super match but not the "loaded" model that many dealers claim to be NM. This is the most expensive rifle I own.I have shot it in three matches in the last two years. The first time I shot a 267 of 300, I can easily do better than that with any one of my Mosin Nagants or Enfields.Last year I shot a 279 with it and last month I shot a 276 with it. My Garands and AR 15 A2s shoot circles around this thing.I have tried many different loads and settled in on 41 gr Varget and a Hornady 150 FMJ. I am going to force myself to shoot it the next two months in Service match so that I will have shot it three months in a row.Maybe familiarity will bring the scores up. I do love the rifle and will keep it as it fills a slot(although technically not) in my U.S Service rifle collection but do have serious buyers remorse over it.

I know this is a older post but, #1 your reloaded ammo isn't a known accuracy load, if you need good load data let me know. #2 are you shooting full distance or reduced targets?

Welcome Phil!
    "Are you my pal, Danny?"

Cadet
    You guys with M1-A's I recommend the following.
    Buy a couple of boxes or Federal 168gr Match ammo/and or load up some 308 ammo with Sierra 168gr Matchkings, over 39.5gr of IMR 3031.

If you rifle does not shoot either of these loads very good, then there is something wrong with your rifle, IMHO.

I have never shot, or seen shot a 308/7.62mm rifle that did not shoot one or both of these loads pretty good.

And I have seen a bunch of 308/7.62mm rifles shoot these loads over the years.
    Bolt action hunting, and sniper, and competition rifles, single shot and lever rifles, semiautos such as FN-Fal's, H&K 91, M14's/M1-A's, M1 Garands in 308/7.62.

I have seen several standard M1-A's that shoot 150gr bullets into 3 or 4 inches at 100 yards shoot 1 to 2 moa with these loads. Match rifles usually do even better with these loads.