Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: M1A buyers remorse

I used 3031 in my old reloading days and it meters like crap. The measure has to chop the powder just about everytime.
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau

Quote Originally Posted by Punch The Clown View Post
    I used 3031 in my old reloading days and it meters like crap. The measure has to chop the powder just about everytime.
    I ended up reading some posts on other forums and found a IMR4895 load that I'm going to try with the 135smk in both the .308 and .30-06. I know 4895 measures well in the Dillon powder measures. Hopefully this won't be all for nothing.

Wish me luck.
    !

Cadet
    Yes IMR 3031 does get cut when run through a powder measure. It has still shot great for me.

When I used it for Palma matches at 800, 900, and 1000 yards I hand weighed each charge.

I have used IMR 3031 for my 223 Prairie dog loads and I threw it with a measure. Loads were still very accurate.

Junior Cadet
    42.0/IMR 4895, Hornady 150 Spire Point (hunting bullet), Rem 9 1/2 gave me sub-moa groups years ago in my M1a Super Match (when I could still see the sights!).

What is the problem if the powder gets chopped by the measure?
    "Are you my pal, Danny?"

Quote Originally Posted by melloman View Post
    What is the problem if the powder gets chopped by the measure?
    It's just a PITA. The handle of the powder measure stops dead in it's tracks and then you have to force it to cut through the cylinder shape powder granule. Ball powder meters much easier.
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau

Thanks for the explanation. As I have a Dillon 550B, will IMR 4895 meter thru the auto powder measure consistently? I have been loading IMR 4064 and that will not meter well at all in that setup so I use a PACT digital scale/dispenser setup to measure charges.
    "Are you my pal, Danny?"

IMR4895 will run the a Dillon powder measure no problem.
    !

Good to know - I have some but have not even opened it yet - assumed it was just like 4064.
    "Are you my pal, Danny?"