Thread: Do steel 308 spacer blocks cause undue parts wear?

Junior Cadet

Do steel 308 spacer blocks cause undue parts wear?

I recently read, on another forum, a discussion in which warnings were given about the use of steel spacer blocks in 308 Garands. It was said that the "follower rod", especially, rubs on this spacer greatly accelerating its wear and that wear increases wear on other parts.

I'm pretty new to Garands, and would appreciate your expertise and experience - is there anything to this assertion? Thanks.

I always use plastic, but I do not foresee any great wear on the follower rod.
    The Garand Guy
    garandguy.com

I declare Shenanigans on this BUT, let's just say it was true. What does a follower rod cost? $10 whoopeeeeeeee! Put a dab of grease where the follower rod MIGHT rub the spacer and call it good. We are not putting a man on the moon here and unless folks have a real reason, a proven reason, that the steel spacer causes trouble, poppycock.

Quote Originally Posted by The Garand Guy View Post
    I always use plastic, but I do not foresee any great wear on the follower rod.
    I've used plastic myself and nothing wrong with those either. The plastic ones I've used DO shrink though and become unusable in someones lifetime.

Junior Cadet
    Thanks to everyone for your thoughts. Out of further curiosity, I'd like to ask: other than serving the purpose of preventing the inserting 30-06 cartridges into the 'magazine' of a 308 Garand, do the spacers serve any other useful purpose (like maybe preventing the shorter rounds from jumping from the enbloc or maybe recoil possibly slightly pulling the bullets from, say, the 8th round?

Quote Originally Posted by akriet View Post
    Thanks to everyone for your thoughts. Out of further curiosity, I'd like to ask: other than serving the purpose of preventing the inserting 30-06 cartridges into the 'magazine' of a 308 Garand, do the spacers serve any other useful purpose (like maybe preventing the shorter rounds from jumping from the enbloc or maybe recoil possibly slightly pulling the bullets from, say, the 8th round?
    You just answered your own question. I've had rifles in 308 that occasionally misfed. The block has fixed that.

Junior Cadet
    Thanks much Tim. Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by akriet View Post
    Thanks much Tim. Regards.

Right back at you.