Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Folding stock

The wood on the BM59 folder and the M1 wood is different.
    M1CC #328

Different like impossible or different like workable?

If the two receivers mount the same, I would think that the wood would be the same around the back porch and vertically down the sides at that point. If the angle is drastically different, the addition of some wood in that area would allow for reshaping. Most of it would be covered by the metal portion that would house the folder anyway.

Obviously I'd be shooting for aesthetically pleasing, but even some of the most trashed stocks come back to life with some work, I think I could add/subtract/carve enough of the buttstock portion to make it work.

But I've never seen them in person. I could be way off base.

Different, but workable. The receivers are almost the same,the BM59 is the offspring of the M1 garand. M1 wood could be converted to a folder,by someone with good wood working skills .
    M1CC #328

Well, I won't confess to having "good" woodworking skills, but I know my way around a planer and a joiner.

The base has a wood hobby shop with pretty much every tool known to man, so maybe I'll take a crack at it on a new stock when I get home. The trick is finding a folder that will mimic the BM59 folder. I was looking at saiga12 conversion kits, but I'd have to have one in my hand to see if there was an acceptable and aesthetically pleasing mounting solution.

Not going for the black assault rifle look, but maybe something that was 50/60's oriented.

Junior Cadet
    So would a rifle that fits an M1 garand drop into a BM59 folder? I'm told the Mountain Garand from the Garand Guy uses a M1 garand stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Capatin Teague View Post
    So would a rifle that fits an M1 garand drop into a BM59 folder? I'm told the Mountain Garand from the Garand Guy uses a M1 garand stock.
    That would use a Garand stock, the barrel on that rifle is a "standard" .308 tanker barrel so it is not 1/2" short at the breech end.

Cadet
    Tim, Have you thought about contacting the Choat company?

Several years ago, in the 1990's they made a folding stock section, that attached to a standard M14 USGI fiberglass stock for Springfield Armory. I have been using one since they first came out. It was out of production for many years, but I think recently, they have started making it again.

They could probably engineer one that would fit a cut off wood Garand stock, with little modification from the one they use for the M1-A. Actually it might not have to be modified much if any at all.

It does lock out 100% solid, and has a good cheek fit to the iron sights on the M1-A.

It is very fast to deploy.

It might be worth a look.

I have not thought about it. The stock I am currently looking for is a complete synthetic with adjustable butt. Even that is now far on the backburner.

Quote Originally Posted by timshufflin View Post
    i have not thought about it. The stock i am currently looking for is a complete synthetic with adjustable butt. Even that is now far on the backburner.
    omg!!! It's going to be an assault weapon!!!

Cadet
    The Choate folder works great on an M1-A.

However on a Garand, I wish some company would remake the BM 59 folding stocks, as I like the fact that the buttplate folds up, so there is nothing sticking down below the stock. Since the standard Garand does not have a magazine that type of stock makes it a real handy package to store.

Years ago a buddy of mine had a couple of those on M1-A's. I have always wished I had found one for a Garand, back when they were around and not too spendy...

A quality Folding synthentic stock for a Garand would be a great thing as well.