Thread: M1a project

Patriot

M1a project

hey guys. well, i ordered an "A" kit from the CMP today and an HRA barrel from OOW. anything to watch out for when building an M1A? i do not have a receiver yet. that may be awhile. just getting what USGI stuff i can right now.

I just completed a CMP A kit build using a HRA barrel from OOW and a Fulton receiver. It went together just as you would expect. Have you built Garands from stripped receivers before?
    !

Patriot
    i can't do the barrel install or bolt headspace. i can do everything else and have done several Garand builds. i am very comfortable with disassembly and assembly of the M1.

Founding Member Prince Humperdink's Avatar
    Only oddity I can think of is if You go with a Military barrel they are chrome lined,and as such a very difficult to ream for headspace so they lap the bolt,and You'll need some castle nut pliers.....btw,be prepared to soil yourself when You see what USGI parts go for,such as bolts.
    "The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition, more insurmountable than any which a simple government of any form can admit of." -- James Madison (1788)

Patriot
    yeah, i know what you mean by parts cost. i ordered a USGI barrel from OOW and am dealing on a USGI bolt now. geez!!!!

I think that I did pretty good on this one, considering prices for bolts lately.
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=283285024
    "Are you my pal, Danny?"

Choked it up and have a receiver waiting for my barrel and bolt at LRB. Asked them to fit the gas cyl too as it will not fit over the barrel splines. Going to assemble the rest myself. Other than the cost, I am excited as a kid waiting for Christmas.
    "Are you my pal, Danny?"