Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M1A headspace

Patriot

M1A headspace

Tim, if you headspace a new barrel for 7.62 nato could i safely fire .308 win? how about vice versa?

Buckshot, I've been using 7.62 ammo in my autoloaders as the brass is way stronger than the .308. Most of the FAL guys allow an extra .002 in the headspace for the NATO ammo, but I set my FAL exactly to .308 spec and it loves 7.62 anyway. Not Shuff -just my experience.
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau

By definition;

- The chamber of a .308 is acceptable to 7.62

- The chamber of a 7.62 may not always be acceptable to .308

Even though both cartridges have the exact same outer dimensions, the 7.62 has a thicker case wall at the base thus being able to handle the more generous headspace for it.

Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by timshufflin View Post
    By definition;

- The chamber of a .308 is acceptable to 7.62

- The chamber of a 7.62 may not always be acceptable to .308

Even though both cartridges have the exact same outer dimensions, the 7.62 has a thicker case wall at the base thus being able to handle the more generous headspace for it.
    so, that being said, when i send my parts to you for installation, you will then set the headspace for .308 and I will still be able to shoot 7.62? am i following ya right?

.308 Winchester----------------------------------- 7.62x51mm NATO
    GO 1.6300-------------------------------------------------- 1.6355
    NO-GO 1.6340---------------------------------------------- 1.6405
    FIELD REJECT 1.6380---------------------------------------- 1.6455

OK, the GO on a 7.62 is a little more generous because the assumption is that a rifle used in combat will probably be a bit on the dirty side and chambering problems wouldn't be popular. The field reject is way more generous on a 7.62 because the brass is much stronger, so a rifle with excessive headspace for a .308 cartridge is perfectly safe with a 7.62. Notice that the NATO allows almost .008 more headspace. As far as pressure goes the specs are mis-interpreted as one is given in cup and the other in psi. Basically they're about the same.

Soooo, a .308 is safe in a 7.62 rifle as long as the headspace meets .308 specs. If the headspace exceeds .308 specs but is less than the 7.62 field spec you're limited to 7.62 brass.
    Last edited by Punch The Clown; 05-14-2012 at 04:29 PM.
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau

Patriot
    thanks for the info. PTC. i am using a brand new barrel. a criterion, non-chrome, 22" GI profile. so Tim will have to ream the chamber. my point here is understand what are chamber numbers and what can i shoot in it. I also do not reload and more than likely will be shooting commercial stuff unless i can get a hell of a buy on 7.62. basically, i want the ability to shoot both.
    Last edited by buckshot85; 05-14-2012 at 05:55 PM.

Founding Member Prince Humperdink's Avatar
    Yep,You can shoot both in a .308 chambered Rifle.
    "The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition, more insurmountable than any which a simple government of any form can admit of." -- James Madison (1788)

Patriot
    thanks guys! where has the Shuffster been lately? haven't heard much from him.

Quote Originally Posted by buckshot85 View Post
    so, that being said, when i send my parts to you for installation, you will then set the headspace for .308 and I will still be able to shoot 7.62? am i following ya right?
    Correct.......

Patriot
    boy, sometimes the crumbs on the trail have to be the size of a VW for me to follow.