Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: M1A headspace

There is a headspace that is considered to be the "sweet spot" where you can shoot either one. Gus Fisher has posted this # a few times over on CSP and the M14 forum .I think it is 1.632 if memory serves me correctly .
    BTW I shoot mostly surplus.Some is better than others,and some shoots in some rifles better than others,try to find what shoots best in yours for the $. SA,German,Portugese,Hirtenberger,Australian,Indone sian,Greek,Malaysian,RadwayGreen 7.62. Pretty much anything I can get my hands on cheap,that is not total junk. I bought most of this stuff when it was reasonable.
    I even bought some of the Pakistan stuff to try out for $75 per can,I do not expect it to be very accurate,but it should all go bang.
    Last edited by mikebaker1129; 05-18-2012 at 09:41 PM.
    M1CC #328

Patriot
    i have read some his stuff over there. i do not plan to shoot competition with this rifle and i do not plan to shoot the hell out of it either. i just want one and want the convenience of nato and commercial. i was just curious how Mr.Tim chambered them because i plan on sending it to him to set-up and maybe do some park work also.

I used to try for the "sweet spot". After talking to the folks at Manson reamers, I just ream for .308 now.

Patriot
    are the feed ramps on a 14 pretty tough on soft points or not?

I was reading the parallel thread over at the CMP forum. The talk about the dangers of insufficent throat came up. Most rifles come with very generous throat, and ammo custom loaded to minimize jump are often too long to even fit in the magazine. Match chambers with custom reamed throats are another story.
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau