Thread: Wtb: To0l for trimming shoulders on m1 garand barrels

Wtb: To0l for trimming shoulders on m1 garand barrels

WTB: I have heard that someone in the past made & sold a tool to trim the shoulders on M1 barrels by using a drill, or drill press. Does anyone know anyone who can make/sell one?

Update: 6/10/12 Thanks to Stu for his input. Acting on a suggestion from Greg Stykowski, I bought a 1 inch hole cutter,( in a complete set of 4 sizes for $26), the type electricians use to cut holes in metal. The tool slipped over the threads & trimmed the shoulder perfectly! No need to go crazy looking for a special tool (Usually very pricey!)
    Last edited by The Garand Guy; 06-11-2012 at 08:55 AM.
    The Garand Guy
    garandguy.com

Tony, this one is called a Wadman shoulder trimmer. Unfortunately, they haven't been made in years and are hard to come by. It would be nice if someone made repros.

When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau

Tony can you share with us what brand or model you used ? It sounds like a great idea.
    M1CC #328

You can go to any hardware store or electrical supply & ask for a bi-metal hole saw. If you buy just one size, you have to buy the arbor for it.
    If you want to buy a good professional quality, go to www.automationdirect.com, & order
    #126029-Hoe saw, 1 1/8 inch, bi-metal, cobalt, fine teeth $7.50
    # 106201 /Arbor assembly $6.25
    Don't buy the cheapie ones at the dollar store, because they won't last.
    The teeth are fine , so you have to go slowly. Luckily, the interior of the 1 1/8 inch size fits over the thread perfectly, which keeps it straight. If you cut too much, you can "squeeze" it with a squeezer made from a pipe cutter with 3 rollers & no cutting wheel.
    Last edited by The Garand Guy; 06-12-2012 at 09:19 PM.
    The Garand Guy
    garandguy.com

Tony
    Can you expalin why you have to trim the sholder?? I cant picture what it is or why you are doing this
    "I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

"Official 2010 Mini-G & 2011 Summer Postal Shoot Biggest Looser"

When you buy a new barrel , commercial or GI, the shoulder (the part that mates up with the face of the receiver) is "short", in that it has too much metal to index correctly. If you force the receiver on , you could distort the chamber. so you have to remove .001 or .003 of metal. This is usually done by a gunsmith on a lathe, but for us who do not own one, we have to either file it ( which oftentimes comes out uneven, resulting in the barrel shooting off center. With this hole cutter, you can trim the shoulder evenly, permitting the barrel to index properly.
    The Garand Guy
    garandguy.com

Thanks for the explaination

Is this something that needs done on every barrel?? or just ones that are to many degrees off?
    "I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

"Official 2010 Mini-G & 2011 Summer Postal Shoot Biggest Looser"

Quote Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
    Thanks for the explaination

Is this something that needs done on every barrel?? or just ones that are to many degrees off?
    It has to be done on every new barrel.They are made that way to fit every possible dimension. Used barrels have already been trimmed.
    The Garand Guy
    garandguy.com