Thread: .35 Whelen Mini-G: BAR mag mod?

Question .35 Whelen Mini-G: BAR mag mod?

Hey there, wonderful Garand work Tim.

I'm brand new to the forum and might have insufficient posts to figure this out in search, but I've been interested in the notion of a Mini-G in .35 Whelen, but also modified for BAR mags. Pretty sure you've done this, but could you give any feedback as to the success of such a BAR mag mod to the M1 receiver for .35? Also interested in your observations/reflections on the .358 bore bullet and its behavior in the M1 chamber, far as feeding is concerned. I'd like to see some pics of such beasts, of course!

What is the twist on the .35 Whelen barrels you install? 1 in 12, which would be awesome, or 1 in 16, like the late model rifles? Thanks!

V/R
    Adam

There is no such beast sir. I've done BAR, I've done .35 Whelen but never the combo.

Quote Originally Posted by timshufflin View Post
    There is no such beast sir. I've done BAR, I've done .35 Whelen but never the combo.
    Thanks Tim....what's the twist on the .35 Whelen barrels you install on the Mini-G?

Do you think it possible for the .35 rifle to be set up with BAR feeding?

To me, this would be the ultimate take-down combo.

Thanks!
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Lee View Post
    Thanks Tim....what's the twist on the .35 Whelen barrels you install on the Mini-G?

Do you think it possible for the .35 rifle to be set up with BAR feeding?

To me, this would be the ultimate take-down combo.

Thanks!
    Adam
    The twist of mine is 1 in 14. They do what I tell them to do for twist rate. I don't do BAR commercially, don't like the magazines at all. By the time you get a mag that works, it is worn out.

Quote Originally Posted by timshufflin View Post
    The twist of mine is 1 in 14. They do what I tell them to do for twist rate. I don't do BAR commercially, don't like the magazines at all. By the time you get a mag that works, it is worn out.
    Thanks for your feedback - that is exactly what I needed to know; whether you considered the BAR mags worth a shot. So, in your opinion, best to leave a Garand barreled for .35 Whelen "as is" with en-bloc clip feed? Wondered if any other hi-cap "full-size" mags exist that might be modded to work with full-length .30-06 and/or necked-up .35. If reliable feeding mags could work, wow - what a powerhouse that would be!

I do appreciate your response, and your high-quality work.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Lee View Post
    I do appreciate your response, and your high-quality work.

Adam

Well, on par with Winchesters anyhow.

Hey Adam, welcome to our little piece of the world. I love that avatar. Steve McQueen was the man for sure. I've shot the Mini-G in .35 and it is a sweet rifle. Tim's is set up with a blind box mag and a center mounted scope as he uses it for hunting. It runs like a clock. I think if you're looking to wreak some chaos on the un-dead the M-14 mod would be your best bet. If you're looking to kill something that's furry and large the Whalen is a good choice.
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau

I can't speak highly enough of the .35 Whelen, no matter what type of rifle it's used in.
    "Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it."

Quote Originally Posted by Punch The Clown View Post
    Hey Adam, welcome to our little piece of the world. I love that avatar. Steve McQueen was the man for sure. I've shot the Mini-G in .35 and it is a sweet rifle. Tim's is set up with a blind box mag and a center mounted scope as he uses it for hunting. It runs like a clock. I think if you're looking to wreak some chaos on the un-dead the M-14 mod would be your best bet. If you're looking to kill something that's furry and large the Whelen is a good choice.
    Thanks for your info - it certainly makes sense for a center-scoped .35 Garand to be set up with a "fixed" box, like a bolt action, for true hunting purposes. You can't get caught hunting black bear or whatever with a hi-cap magazine, that's for sure!

However, I admit to being guilty of the classic American habits: more, bigger, faster.....I only recently "discovered" Tim Shufflin's Mini-G world, and once the notion of .35 Whelen and a shorty M1 entered my head....I recalled Dirty Harry's phrase....

"This is the most powerful (M1 Garand) in the world....and could blow your head clean off..."

What an awesome dedicated marksman rifle the .35 could be! Bang - bang - "where'd that guy go?"

But seriously, I was just "fishing" for any ideas of how to stuff a necked-up .30-06 cased round into a hi-cap mag with successful results in a Garand. You know, for the ultimate horsepower fans out there!

Far as Steve McQueen is concerned, I'm with you on that score. However, don't forget Steve's "stunt car guru" Carey Loftin and Bill Hickman - Hickman was the driver of the Charger. I can't say how many times I watched Bullitt when me and my buddies managed to copy it on videotape from a late-night rerun back in the "old days" of 1980....that's a laugh!
    http://www.hottr6.com/triumph/BULLITT.html

Adam