Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Reloading

Junior Cadet
    Remember one thing , RCBS has one fine warranty. If it breaks they will repair or replace it . The last dealing I had with them was with a used military decrimper. It was missing the large rifle part. I emailled the company and explained the problem and that it was purchased used. I even offered to pay for the part. They sent it to me free of charge!
    Fred

Junior Cadet
    Howdy, and sorry so late to this particular party. The PMC brass is notorious for allowing the depriming pin to push out the anvil and the base of the priming cup while leaving the walls of the primer in the pocket. I found this out the hard way when I purchased a large amount of once fired PMC .223 brass from a gunshow. The brass didn't even have crimped primer pockets, it had simply gotten wet after firing and the residue really stuck those primers into the pockets. Never broke a pin, but sure made that lot of brass into essentially scrap. I have since found PMC 9MM cases that suffer the same proclivity. I load for over 40 different cartridges so far and I only pick up PMC range brass to recycle. At least it is good for beer money. Likewise, I have found that all the Guatemalan 5.56 ammo I bought years ago for $175 per 1,500 rd case is also not friendly to decapping pins. It seems that the flash hole is smaller than standard and the pin is captured by the case and becomes irretrievable. This brass has an IMG headstamp. Perhaps not all of this ammo is likely to do this, but I don't have time to dyck around with such issues.
    Best of luck in your handloading endeavors, and if you ever need assistance, do not hesitate to ask me or here in general. Lots of well informed people here!
    Cheers,
    WMC.

Super Duty, long time no see! Welcome back!
    Have you ever heard anyone complain about having ammo left over after a gunfight?"

Junior Cadet
    Happy to be here. Not quite a Bad Boys Club member, but I am a big fan of Tim Shufflin. He has been an indispensible asset to my uncurable addiction to the M1 Garand. Still quite the amateur compared to the clientel on this Forum. but always learning.
    Many Thanks for the Welcome.
    Cheers,
    WMC.

Welcome Sir
    "I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

"Official 2010 Mini-G & 2011 Summer Postal Shoot Biggest Looser"

Howie,
    did you ever get the primer pocket problem solved? You might also look into the RCBS primer pocket swager. Dont know how good PMC brass is for reloading since ive never tried it but it does sound like a crimp or just offsize primer pocket.
    Mack

I just got the RCBS pocket swager the other day. I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but I'll be sure to let you know how it goes.
    NRA Life Member
    ISRA Member
    M1CC Member #144
    Certified FFII

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined.... O sir, we should have fine times, indeed, if to punish tyrants, it were only sufficient to assemble the people!"

Quote Originally Posted by howie View Post
    I just got the RCBS pocket swager the other day. I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but I'll be sure to let you know how it goes.
    Howie be SURE to follow the directions to the "T" for the pocket swager. Sort brass by manufacturer, adjust tool for each different type of brass and keep the rod screwed all the way to the top of die body, with the locking nut tight! If not you'll bend the rod after just a few rounds! (Been there done that) Cool thing when I ruined mine, I sent RCBS an e-mail explaining what I'd done and that it was my fault the rod bent. I then asked them to price me a replacement rod and I'd send them payment. Instead they just sent me parts at no charge! The swager tool works pretty well, but it's still pretty much a P.I.A. Have Fun Thomas
    Have you ever heard anyone complain about having ammo left over after a gunfight?"

Quote Originally Posted by tljames View Post
    Howie be SURE to follow the directions to the "T" for the pocket swager. Sort brass by manufacturer, adjust tool for each different type of brass and keep the rod screwed all the way to the top of die body, with the locking nut tight! If not you'll bend the rod after just a few rounds! (Been there done that) Cool thing when I ruined mine, I sent RCBS an e-mail explaining what I'd done and that it was my fault the rod bent. I then asked them to price me a replacement rod and I'd send them payment. Instead they just sent me parts at no charge! The swager tool works pretty well, but it's still pretty much a P.I.A. Have Fun Thomas
    I bent mine too. I didn't bend it enough to make it unusable though. I found a new tool to remove the primer crimp from military brass. I just remove the crimp with the chamfer tool and run with it. My primer pocket swager has been collecting dust since I started doing this.
    !