Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reloading

I think if you spend over $300.00 on RCBS equipment you also get a $50.00 rebate now. Add a few things to the Kit and you get a killer deal with the rebate
    "I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

"Official 2010 Mini-G & 2011 Summer Postal Shoot Biggest Looser"

Patriot
    I use the carbide dies from Lee. These dies are less expensive than any others and I find them a quality die. If you use care in re loading your dies will last forever. I have some Herter dies I bought in the 60s and they are still performing great. I am sure you will be reloading GI brass so don't forget the reamer for the primer pockets as most mil primers are crimped.
    Mix

TL, PM sent.

I made the plunge, got an RCBS Rockchucker kit, and some other stuff to go with it. Still need to get primer pocket cleaners, a set of small base .223 dies, a case trimmer and some other little odds and end stuff. I've deprimed and tumbled all my .45 and M2 brass, and I was very pleased with how the old CMP brass turned out. Looks nice! The bench is built, press mounted, will get to taking some photos one of these days.

I started using some old dies my brother gave to me several years ago. The .30-06 and .45s worked great, but the .223 is junk. Got a case stuck about 30 rounds into depriming, the decapper nut is already so buggered up I'm just going to order a new set, but all in all, I'm having fun with it so far.
    NRA Life Member
    ISRA Member
    M1CC Member #144
    Certified FFII

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined.... O sir, we should have fine times, indeed, if to punish tyrants, it were only sufficient to assemble the people!"

Quote Originally Posted by howie View Post
    TL, PM sent.

I made the plunge, got an RCBS Rockchucker kit, and some other stuff to go with it. Still need to get primer pocket cleaners, a set of small base .223 dies, a case trimmer and some other little odds and end stuff. I've deprimed and tumbled all my .45 and M2 brass, and I was very pleased with how the old CMP brass turned out. Looks nice! The bench is built, press mounted, will get to taking some photos one of these days.

I started using some old dies my brother gave to me several years ago. The .30-06 and .45s worked great, but the .223 is junk. Got a case stuck about 30 rounds into depriming, the decapper nut is already so buggered up I'm just going to order a new set, but all in all, I'm having fun with it so far.
    Have you ordered the 223 dies yet? I think I have two sets!
    Have you ever heard anyone complain about having ammo left over after a gunfight?"

Howie PM sent, " The Pearl is in the river", " John has a long mustache", "bird is in the nest"....aaaaaa......Dude your pckage is in the mail!
    Have you ever heard anyone complain about having ammo left over after a gunfight?"

A few tools I find handy

Howie,

Here's some links for tools I have found work very well and speed up the process;

These case trimmers work great, every case is cut to the same length, cuts off the datum of the case just like the $300 Gracey trimmers. I have one for .223 and one for 30-06, you can trim by hand or use a power adapter (below) on them.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/Brow...*&brandId=2678

Get at least one of these, (I bought a few so I don't have to keep switching tools around) power tool adapters. The trimmers above fit right in these and so does the chaffering/deburring tools. Then you can use them in a power drill or power screwdriver.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=295771

Here's a You-Tube video, a guy showing how fast you can trim the cases with the above trimmers and power adapter.

Next I found these cheap digital calipers to be very well made, accurate and so damn easy to read, it was getting hard to read my good ole Brown & Sharpe. I compared them to the Brown & Sharpe calipers and they are right on the money. I liked em so much I now have two sets, one for the garage and one for the reloading bench.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=604242
    A note on cheap batteries for these calipers, WalMart sells cheap pointer lasers for $3.00, they look something like this one.

I have seen them all the time on the shelf at the checkout, they come with 3 batteries in the laser and 3 spares. Throw the cheap laser away and you have 6 batteries for $3.00!

Last thing is a Frankford Arsenal digital scale, I bought two of the earlier versions when Midway had them on sale for $20, this is the model I have,
    http://www.battenfeldtechnologies.co...eloading-Scale
    Looks like they have replaced it with a new version, on sale at Midway right now $20 at Midway. I can't speak for how good these new scales are, lots of reviews on Midway, anyone else here have these?
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=175512
    The older model I have works great, I seldom use my beam scale now. One thing I found with the digital scale, just a light breeze from a A/C unit will throw the weight all over the map, drove me nuts at first until I figured out what it was LoL. Now I have the scales on a separate bench, just working the reloading press will also bounce them out of calibration, very sensitive little scale. My only bitch, they shut off after sixty seconds and you have to turn it back on. Not a big deal just annoying but for $20.......

Have fun with the reloading, make that bench big enough for all the reloading equipment you'll buy, you will, oh yes you will.... Within a year you'll have a Dillon, I did
    Guy Wilson

Only $14.00 for a FULL year Membership --> http://www.m1collectorsclub.com/

Please support the M1 for Vets Program --> http://www.m1forvets.com/

I haven't bought the .223 dies yet. We got the stuck case out and they seem to be working fine, just not sure if they're small base, or not. I haven't got a digital scale yet, but did pick up a cheap digital caliper off Amazon. No case trimmer yet, either...

I started fiddling around with seating .223 bullets tonight, and I've got the die set to within .002" of what he book calls for. Stupid question, but is that close enough?

I ran into a new problem tonight while priming .223 brass.....it seems all my PMC brass, after being de-primed, has a small ring left inside the primer pocket which won't allow the new primer to seat. Any suggestions, or am I stuck with a few hundred rounds of non-reloadable brass?

It's a good thing you guys are smart.......

Oh yeah.......I think my bench is too small.
    NRA Life Member
    ISRA Member
    M1CC Member #144
    Certified FFII

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined.... O sir, we should have fine times, indeed, if to punish tyrants, it were only sufficient to assemble the people!"

Howie,

On the bullet seating, if it's only .002 your fine, unless your loading them to all hold the X ring at 200 yards LoL!

On the PMC brass, sounds like they have the military primer crimp. They sell primer pocket reamers and tools to swag the pocket that removes the crimp and makes the pocket uniform. I have the reamer type tools like this one
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=501588

But I find it's just as fast to remove the crimp with the nose of the chaffering/deburring tool, like this one
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=143728

A couple quick turns and it will remove the crimp then your good to go for re-priming. I find the reamers I have tried are very sharp and you can easily over cut the sides of the pocket if you tilt the tool, so I just went back to using my old method.

I've spent money on fancy tools that I used a few times and now they collect dust, should have stuck with what works and keep it simple. Over the years I've bought a lot of reloading tools that I thought I just had to have. Those tools are like my box of holsters, tried once and didn't like, throw it in the box..... Yeah that bench gets small fast LoL.

I rationalize the money spent on the reloading equipment and supplies as, "I don't spend any more then I would for ammo, I just shoot more for my dollar." But that's just a lie.... What I do gain is I can load ammo that's very accurate for "that gun" and it's tailored for plinking, serious target shooting or hunting. It's amazing the groups I can get out of my handguns with some trial and error and it's usally lite target loads too! I also have bought brass, powder, primers and bullets in bulk over the years, most times when the price was right. I have saved a LOT buying in bulk and now I have enough supplies to last me many, many years. When people were bitching a year ago they couldn't find ammo and if they did the prices where high, I just smiled knowing I have "my stash", just thinking of it now gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling.

Check out the prices of bullets, powder and primers in bulk with this place, TNT Reloading. I've done a lot of business with them over the years, good prices! http://tntreloading.com/

BTW, I have a couple thousand .223 SS109 pulled bullets I'll never use, they do have pull marks but I found they grouped the same as those without at 100 yards. They are for plinking and punching holes in steel, not a target bullet. If your interested, shoot me an email [email protected] I'll look and see what else I have for .223, I know I have some IMI 55 grainers and somewhere I have 1000 Hornady TAP bullets.
    Guy Wilson

Only $14.00 for a FULL year Membership --> http://www.m1collectorsclub.com/

Please support the M1 for Vets Program --> http://www.m1forvets.com/

[QUOTE=Oh Mr. Wilson;5898]Howie,

I've spent money on fancy tools that I used a few times and now they collect dust, should have stuck with what works and keep it simple. Over the years I've bought a lot of reloading tools that I thought I just had to have. Those tools are like my box of holsters, tried once and didn't like, throw it in the box..... Yeah that bench gets small fast LoL.

I rationalize the money spent on the reloading equipment and supplies as, "I don't spend any more then I would for ammo, I just shoot more for my dollar." But that's just a lie.... What I do gain is I can load ammo that's very accurate for "that gun" and it's tailored for plinking, serious target shooting or hunting. It's amazing the groups I can get out of my handguns with some trial and error and it's usally lite target loads too! I also have bought brass, powder, primers and bullets in bulk over the years, most times when the price was right. I have saved a LOT buying in bulk and now I have enough supplies to last me many, many years. When people were bitching a year ago they couldn't find ammo and if they did the prices where high, I just smiled knowing I have "my stash", just thinking of it now gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling.

Ditto! Like Mr Wilson I just stash back supplies! I'll buy a few K of primers, a keg of powder, bulk bullets etc. Then I hear the woes of the masses when they pay $50.00 for a 20 round box of hunting ammo and I just grin!
    Shortly after the last Pres. election, a couple of our local PD officers were attending a class. They needed SEVERAL rounds of .38 Special practice ammo. The ammo crunch was on and someone gave them my name. I ended up loading 10 k rds of 148 gr wadcutters for their school and practice sessions. Made enough to restock all my supplies and bought a new Hornady Progressive Press. Plus they gave me all the brass they had collected over the past few years at the range! Needless to say I won't need any .38 .357 or 45 ACP brass for about the next 3 lifetimes! Plus I have several PD officers who have me help them with their "new found" reloading hobby.
    I have a buddy who hasn't killed a deer with a factory round of ammo in the last 5-6 years. He had a 243 rifle that wouldn't shoot anything less than about a 3" 5 shot group at 100 yds from the bench. He'd tried every type of factory ammo he could buy. He was ready to trade the rifle off. So we started playing around with different bullet weights and powder charges and found a load that stacked 5 rds in about a 3/4" hole!
    Since then I reload all his family's hunting ammo! I realize in today's "sue happy" society many of you probably think I'm insane, a lunatic or stupid for doing this (and you may be right) Yet when I load for someone else I stay WELL WITHIN established published load data and I don't load for complete strangers, even though I've had several request to do so! Have fun Howie! Thomas

I could be wrong, but I don't think what I'm seeing is a military crimp. It looks like a brass sleeve inside the primer pocket. I've got some pocket reamers ordered. I'll try the deburring tool method and see what happens......

I'm hoping I'll be able to make some '06 rounds that will tighten up my Garands. I'm getting 6-8" groups at 100 yds. with both. We'll see. Thanks for the info, guys.
    NRA Life Member
    ISRA Member
    M1CC Member #144
    Certified FFII