Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gas Trap pics- as promised

Quote Originally Posted by Rick B View Post
    I hate to say it but that stock is not full length and you can see the rings in the holes from it being covered up. Look closely and shine a flash light in there if you do not see it. I hope you didn't pay a ton for it? Very nice rifle still and happy to see it is shooting that nice with the new fronts ends. Rick B
    What do you mean by "rings in the holes from it being covered up"?
    The Garand Guy
    garandguy.com

Founding Member
    The end cap I put on which is basically the wood inside of the buttplate once on. Rick B
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

War Room Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick B View Post
    Yes and I have records on it. I did 5 stocks like this back in the early 2000's and stop because they were not being said to be modified and I was surprised a few missed the line on the insides. You stated ""Original no trap, large hole over small SPG stock"" That is why I commented and didn't want to call out who sold it to you. Rick B
    The seller did tell me that it was restored to no trap configuration,and that the markings are repopped,there was no misleading at all, and I was offered plenty of time to send it back if I had wanted to. I did'nt know though that a cap had been added under the buttplate (nice work BTW), I thought it was just resanded or profiled back to no trap which is why these reconversions are a bit shorter than original. I have an early WRA that is like that, was a no trap, got converted to trap, then somone turned it back to no trap.On that one though you can still see the gouged out area made for the buttplate hinge.
    Are you saying though Rick, that this was never an early SPG stock, with large hole over small?
    Perhaps I should have stated it differently? Like "was a no trap large hole over small that had been modified to trapdoor then back to no trap" or something like that? I did not mean to say it's an original as issued, never messed with SPG stock, but yet it is/was an original SPG stock. Either way, it's the closest thing I'll ever have to a gas trap unless I hit the lottery, and even then you would have to find someone willing to sell. Restored stock or not, I'm quite happy with how it turned out, and most of all, how good it shoots. The only thing that bugs me is that I have been looking for years for an unmodified trigger housing and correct no revision hammer, or handstamped -1 hammer. Guess what? Now that I finally had it refinished and assembled, guess what two items I've just located this past week? Yep, an unmodified housing, already on its way to me, and a handstamped -1 hammer which I'll be sending payment out for tomorrow. Go figure.

Founding Member
    It was a Large over small hole converted back. I also did not state anyone ripped you off just was checking as they have been passed on then resold as originals which is why I stopped doing them.

One from Billy Pyles book sold by Larry Kaufman had this exact thing done [Orignal was swapped for a put back back end that I did] and I told the buyer it was a fake and he freaked on me naturally telling me I didn't know anything.. We spoke by phone and then I showed him the ring and the incorrect proof P from the book to what he had and the incorrect re stamped drawing numbers and he realized he was taken. Larry paid him back the money to get a SPG from someone I had sold to a few years earlier. Apparently someone took the original untouched stock and sold it or traded it then put the modified back stock on it hoping it wasn't found. We think Larry's kid did it. Rick B
    Last edited by Rick B; 07-04-2012 at 05:51 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Dave, that is a beautiful restoration! I'm loving it!
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau

Senior Member captain_bob_badfish's Avatar
    Thats a fine looking resto. Congrats!

Junior Cadet
    Nice rifle. You did an excellant job on that one and a great shooter too. I am glad the springs are working well.

Bubba

War Room Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbaroc View Post
    Nice rifle. You did an excellant job on that one and a great shooter too. I am glad the springs are working well.

Bubba
    Thanks Bubba. I was worried about it not having enough "spring" but if anything the springs are a bit strong. I had 2 FTF early on but then went about 100 rds trouble free. I don't think I'll need to do anything to them. It feels very smooth when shooting, no harsh recoil impulse at all. I just need to do something with that trigger pull....... damn its hard. Smooth but very hard. Might monkey with a shorter hammer spring. I did use the longest one in the bin.

Wow Dave that is a beautiful rifle love the park job, enjoy lots of rounds out of her.

Junior Cadet
    I compared these springs to original ones and they have the same feel . I also checked compression heights, at three different weights, with the originals, they match almost exactly the same as originals, even fully compressed height. We tried to be extra careful to make sure there is no coil bind in the springs during function. If you have any problems with them or the follower rod, let me know and I'll fix it.

Bubba
    Last edited by bubbaroc; 07-07-2012 at 06:59 PM.