Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gentlemen this is why you don't buy 1911's made with MIM

Gentlemen this is why you don't buy 1911's made with MIM

More and more of the cheaper 1911 manufacturers are using Metal Injection Molding in their building process. This is in leu of the more expensive forged or casting metal pieces. MIM tends to fail especially under a little stress or age. Here is a picture of a MIM slide which failed under normal but extended use. Ouch, I'm glad it wasn't in my hand.
    Bill403394942.jpg
    Bill

Pappy's Rule #1-The truth is the truth and sometimes it hurts, but you never have to apologize for it.
    Pappy's Rule #2-Politicans like baby diapers should be changed regularly and for the same reason.
    Pappy's Rule #3-Dealing with some people is like wiping your ass with a hula hoop, there's no end to it and there's no part of it that smells good.
    Pappy's Rule #4-When you discover someone has a burr under their saddle the best thing to do is hop right up on the saddle and grind that burr in a little deeper.
    Pappy's Rule #5-The squeaky wheel gets the grease, until it squeaks to long or to loud, then it gets replaced.

Not good...on a Springfield, even! Do you know how to tell, Bill, whether you've got an injected or forged slide? I'm no expert...have a firestorm and RIA 1911.
    NRA Life Member
    ISRA Member
    M1CC Member #144
    Certified FFII

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined.... O sir, we should have fine times, indeed, if to punish tyrants, it were only sufficient to assemble the people!"

Quote Originally Posted by howie View Post
    Not good...on a Springfield, even! Do you know how to tell, Bill, whether you've got an injected or forged slide? I'm no expert...have a firestorm and RIA 1911.
    Yah, is there a tell or is it just known manufacturers?

DANG ! Is my ss springer V10 mim???
    Μολὼν λάβε
    VFW life member.
    NRA life member.

Bill
    I thought SAI 1911 frames and slides were steel forged ?
    Any info on the 1911 pictured? The way the slide and grips are cracked I am wondering if there isnt more to the story than supposeably bad parts
    "I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

"Official 2010 Mini-G & 2011 Summer Postal Shoot Biggest Looser"

Guys, sorry to have sounded a false alarm but I was going by what was originally posted. I see there has been a totally different story posted.
    Here is the link so you can read for yourself.
    http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=375084
    Bill
    Bill

Pappy's Rule #1-The truth is the truth and sometimes it hurts, but you never have to apologize for it.
    Pappy's Rule #2-Politicans like baby diapers should be changed regularly and for the same reason.
    Pappy's Rule #3-Dealing with some people is like wiping your ass with a hula hoop, there's no end to it and there's no part of it that smells good.
    Pappy's Rule #4-When you discover someone has a burr under their saddle the best thing to do is hop right up on the saddle and grind that burr in a little deeper.
    Pappy's Rule #5-The squeaky wheel gets the grease, until it squeaks to long or to loud, then it gets replaced.

Patriot
    Would think at this time that a whole bunch of firearms would be unaffordable if MIM parts were not used. I know everybody wants to see all those nice machine marks, but them days are long gone. Remember when the Glocks first hit the market....damn plastic guns. Times change, we all like traditional firearms, but without modern materials and manufacturing we probably would not see all the firearms we have to choose from today.

Greg
    Last edited by ordmm; 07-15-2012 at 11:35 PM.

Patriot
    Very interesting post.Been building 45s and re loading for them for years and never seen that combo! I sure would like to get my hands on the gun and fired cases as well as loaded ammo to see if I could find the cause. There are a number of options ,case failure from worn out cases, no support from feed ramp area. wrong firing pin (9mm,38super) might account for the primer. even a flash hole to small for the type of primer used, defective primer.So many options. We will never know.
    Bingo

I broke the frame of a Ruger "New Super Blackhawk" in 45 LC once. My reloads were within book specs. Yet I had no failures just broke the gun! When loading on my progressive press I have a "powder cop" which allows me to see if case is over / under loaded. Glad the guy wasn't hurt.

I love what one of his fellow forum members posted to him...........

07-15-2012, 06:27 PM
    Whirlyspud
    Member Join Date: Dec 2008

I am glad you were not hurt, and I wish you best of luck with your flinch.

Mike

That ain't no joke. Next round he fires down range will probably not be on target, as it's hard to shoot straight with both eyes closed and head turned!
    Have you ever heard anyone complain about having ammo left over after a gunfight?"

that crack has nothing to do with mim. even Sa which has a good rep can put out a defective slide every now and then. maybe an ammo related issue (overpressure,barrel obstruction etc.) with the right set of circumstances anything can break.