Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gentlemen this is why you don't buy 1911's made with MIM

looking more closely the cracked grip makes me think it was definitely an over pressure situation that would have cracked ANY 1911 regardless of maker

Quote Originally Posted by MajorD View Post
    that crack has nothing to do with mim. even Sa which has a good rep can put out a defective slide every now and then. maybe an ammo related issue (overpressure,barrel obstruction etc.) with the right set of circumstances anything can break.

I know about as much about MIM as I do about women. My question would be, why doesn't the crack have anything to do with MIM?

Slides and frame are forged
    "I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

"Official 2010 Mini-G & 2011 Summer Postal Shoot Biggest Looser"

After reading the rest of the story I only have more questions?
    Last edited by Phil McGrath; 08-09-2012 at 12:12 AM.

Cadet
    That my friend is not a MIM slide,they are forged and machined.ive been to the plant in brazil and seen it with my own eyes.the new remington r1 1911 slide is cast though and no matter how you slice it that blows.however... my $1500.00 TRP has mim parts in it and i have been slowly changing out those parts with ed brown barstock parts.

Junior Cadet
    WOW! I have never heard of an SAI 1911 having that issue. Very unfortunate.

Quote Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
    Slides and frame are forged
    Not true.

Springfield at one point was using cast slides / recievers. Caspian uses cast recievers / slides. As do anyone who has Caspian making the parts for them.

Cast parts have a RC of about 24-26 and are MUCH easier to machine into a final product.

Forged blanks have an RC of nearly 40, so that means you can go through cutters much faster. So many compaies will attempt to charge you what Smith and Wesson, Browning, Sig, and others do for what is actually a cast slide / reciever.

One of my buddies started making NM 1911s over the past 8 years, and he's gone through every aspect of business growth. Originally, he used cast recievers and slides. Then he realized that it was inferior, really inferior, and that the accurate longevity of the product wasn't going to be there. So he switched to forged blanks, and Brian Zins won 3 of his Camp Perry shoots with one of my buddies 1911s.

He has told me the names of a bunch of companies that sell very expensive 1911s, and use CAST parts. He's also told me that you can't go wrong with a Smith, Sig, or Browning produced 1911 if you want a normal one (non-NM uber Bulls Eye pistol).

Eventually, he started making 1911 frames and slides that have less that 2/10000ths difference from one end to the other using forged steel. Then, once he have everything properly fitted, he sends ALL of the steel parts out to Germany to have them Salt Bath Nitrate treated. So the parts end up being about an RC of 68...

The nice thing is that you are not replacing the bushing every 5000 rounds (which a match shooter can do in a few months). In fact, from last report, they've gotten at least 20,000 rounds of a bushing. (The barrels have to group under 1 inch at 50 yards not in a pistol, and he uses a ransom (sp?) rest to test fire every 1911 before it leaves the shop so they can check for wear later.)
    Last edited by GBMaryland; 03-04-2013 at 08:00 AM.

Springfield Amorys website says the 1911's are forged
    "I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

"Official 2010 Mini-G & 2011 Summer Postal Shoot Biggest Looser"

Quote Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
    Springfield Amorys website says the 1911's are forged
    There are NOW... they sold a TON of sand casted units at one point. Mid 1990s to early 2000s... then the firearm boom happened and it was easier to get someone to make them forged parts.

One year, not one shooter at Camp Perry on the Springfield Team used a Springfield 1911. That's was funny.

Quote Originally Posted by GBMaryland View Post
    Not true.

Springfield at one point was using cast slides / recievers. Caspian uses cast recievers / slides. As do anyone who has Caspian making the parts for them.

Cast parts have a RC of about 24-26 and are MUCH easier to machine into a final product.

Forged blanks have an RC of nearly 40, so that means you can go through cutters much faster. So many compaies will attempt to charge you what Smith and Wesson, Browning, Sig, and others do for what is actually a cast slide / reciever.

One of my buddies started making NM 1911s over the past 8 years, and he's gone through every aspect of business growth. Originally, he used cast recievers and slides. Then he realized that it was inferior, really inferior, and that the accurate longevity of the product wasn't going to be there. So he switched to forged blanks, and Brian Zins won 3 of his Camp Perry shoots with one of my buddies 1911s.

He has told me the names of a bunch of companies that sell very expensive 1911s, and use CAST parts. He's also told me that you can't go wrong with a Smith, Sig, or Browning produced 1911 if you want a normal one (non-NM uber Bulls Eye pistol).

Eventually, he started making 1911 frames and slides that have less that 2/10000ths difference from one end to the other using forged steel. Then, once he have everything properly fitted, he sends ALL of the steel parts out to Germany to have them Salt Bath Nitrate treated. So the parts end up being about an RC of 68...

The nice thing is that you are not replacing the bushing every 5000 rounds (which a match shooter can do in a few months). In fact, from last report, they've gotten at least 20,000 rounds of a bushing. (The barrels have to group under 1 inch at 50 yards not in a pistol, and he uses a ransom (sp?) rest to test fire every 1911 before it leaves the shop so they can check for wear later.)
    What's the name of this builder?