Thread: "How to" on Commercial Stock Fitting

"How to"Stock Fitting Part I

Heres a few things you can do to improve the function and accurcy of your commercial Boyds/Dupadge/CMP stocks
    . These things sometimes also need addressed on USGI stocks

Your rear sight bottomed out and still shoots high? Check the barrel channel, its probably to narrow and is holding the barrel up out of position. Simply bevel the corners of the channel off to allow clearance and let the barrel drop into proper posiiton
    I had also had a problem with the stock ferrule setting to high and the Op Rod rubbed on it. ,I carved out some of the wood with a utility knife until it set in the proper position

Problem solved? Not yet, I then had to fill in the area on the bottom since the ferrule set lower so it would stay in place when tightened
    I taped off the stock, and applied paste wax to the ferrule for a release.
    Then placed JB Weld to the bottom of where the ferrule sets on the stock, put ferrule in place and start to tighten the screw but not all they way

Problem fixed.
    Next issue, although it isnt a big one is sometimes the Boyds needs to have a cutout where the firing pin/bolt would hit

Also may need alittle wood removed so the trigger clears when fired

If there is a small dent there the trigger is hitting and needs some wood removed

Now on to the next issue. Set action in stock and install/lock the trigger assembly. Looking from the side of the rifle there should be a very small amount of clearance approx 1 1/8 inch from where the back of the receiver sets up to the back of the receiver legs. Hold it up to the light will make it easier to see.

If your stock doesnt have this slight gap,wrap a piece of sandpaper around a block of wood and sand to proper clearance. Don’t need much

Also need to give the rifle the "Tilt Test"
    This stock failed, you can see here where the Op Rod was rubbing slightly , remove wood as needed

Op Rod also rubbed inside pretty hard

Went to put her back together and found the nose of the rear handguard was to long and interfered with the front handguard, remove as needed

These are just a few things to check for on commercial Boyds stocks.
    Last edited by Orlando; 04-11-2020 at 09:29 AM.
    "I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

"Official 2010 Mini-G & 2011 Summer Postal Shoot Biggest Looser"

Fantastic wood work. I should have taken woodworking seriously.
    "No man who is not willing to bear arms and to fight for his rights can give a good reason why he should be entitled to the privilege of living in a free community." -- Theodore Roosevelt

Cadet
    you do great work Orlando

Looking good,
    Μολὼν λάβε
    VFW life member.
    NRA life member.

Junior Cadet
    Orlando,
    Great pictorial essay and helpful.
    Thanks'
    SW

Quote Originally Posted by swestland View Post
    Orlando,
    Great pictorial essay and helpful.
    Thanks'
    SW
    Thanks ,I need to redo the "How To" someday with a few more tips I have learned. Welcome to the forum
    "I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

"Official 2010 Mini-G & 2011 Summer Postal Shoot Biggest Looser"