Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mini-G as a SHTF Rifle

I'm leaning slightly towards a G-3 myself. Small, AK reliability.

Eli

I know I will most likelt not be in the majority in this, I love both my Gs, but my SHTF rifle is my Mitchells M-63 tanker in 8mm. Long eye relief Leupold M8 2.5x perfect for everthing but low on firepower. And reliable as hell!
    Mike
    Staten Island German Martial Arts (S.I.G.M.A.)
    http://www.sigmanewyork.webs.com/

Time to feed the pigs!!!!!!

The sword of time will pierce our skins
    It doesn't hurt when it begins
    But as it works its way on in
    The pain grows stronger...watch it grin.

The late survival guru Mel Tappan preferred the BM62 as an all around survival rifle. The mag fed mini G is almost the same rifle.
    With a scout rail for an upper handguard it fits into Jeff Cooper's "Scout" concept also.
    M1CC #328

I know Mr. Shufflin will excoriate me for this, but as much as I love my Mini-G, if I had to depend on one rifle for all the uses the OP listed, it would be... my M1A. Too hard to find parts for the Mini-G if it breaks and since I'm too busted up to run far, the extra weight of the M1A isn't a problem. (heading for hard cover)

I think the M1A is a fine choice but the Mini-G, either "regular" or mag fed, uses regular M1 parts that are plentiful. The only parts that aren't M1 specific are the op-rod. For the mag fed, it's only the front portion of a regular M1 trigger group. Spare parts shouldn't be a problem.
    I had Tim bend me a spare op-rod & modify a spare trigger group on the off chance I had a issue in the future for my mag fed Mini-g.
    Rom 13:4 For he is God's minister to you for good. But if you do evil,
    be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister,
    an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Photobucket

Delta-3, I'd agree except that my Mini is equipped with the Beretta gas system. Not too much of that stuff lying around to pick up in the ruins of civilization as we know it. I don't have Tim's skills by a long shot and there's parts on the Mini that I couldn't replace. OTOH, there's lots of M1As in the world and a shop right in my home town whose owner is a M1A fanatic and has plenty of parts on hand. I'd say small chance of that coming to pass, but that's what the thread was predicated about...

Good point. That definitely would make parts hard to come by.

Photobucket

Quote Originally Posted by Delta-3 View Post
    I think the M1A is a fine choice but the Mini-G, either "regular" or mag fed, uses regular M1 parts that are plentiful. The only parts that aren't M1 specific are the op-rod. For the mag fed, it's only the front portion of a regular M1 trigger group. Spare parts shouldn't be a problem.
    I had Tim bend me a spare op-rod & modify a spare trigger group on the off chance I had a issue in the future for my mag fed Mini-g.
    That, good sir, is an outstanding idea. What did Tim charge you to bend the spare rod?

Don't quote me on this but if I remember right, he only charged me for the trigger group mod. I can't say for sure though.

Photobucket

Cadet
    Quote Originally Posted by Delta-3 View Post
    Well, since I received my new SIG 556R it's a toss-up with my mag fed Mini-G. Since I'm going to re-scope my "G" it will probably be my longer range backup to the SIG.
    Of course, I'll probably get shot in the back looking at the gun safe trying to decide which one to take!
    Now this is "GD" Funny...I can't even decide which rifle to pull out for the M-1 for Vets Match this weekend. That would be me..Shot in the back deciding which rifle to protect myself with...Priceless!