Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mini-G as a SHTF Rifle

Prices for an extra rod being bent up ala carte is pretty high. You don't just need a rod bent, you need it cut, bent, new piston, parked. $100 shipped.

Thanks for refreshing my memory Tim. I knew you let me off easy, I just couldn't remember how easy.
    Gent's, I don't really think I will ever need my spares but I'm a "just in case" kind of guy. FWIW, I've swapped the parts around & they have (as suspected) performed flawlessly.
    Rom 13:4 For he is God's minister to you for good. But if you do evil,
    be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister,
    an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Photobucket

Patriot
    I don't know about SHTF, but rioting urban youths is a possibility the way things are going..

I'm gonna have Tim build mine to fill the black rifle niche.. I have the CMP rifle of choice, I took the drive to the North Store a few weeks back with my wife for our 10th anniversary. Man I love her... I just got my new Criterion 30-06 barrel on Friday, she'll be boxed up and off early next week.

I have a Fulton Armory M14 SA, but I have 3 Garands, and parts are easier to find for a Garand. Just buy or make a few extra oprod springs (per an email a few months ago Tim says Wolff Tanker Springs are fine), and get yourself a spare oprod, you'll be GTG.

Why would I use a black rifle that has a round that is not even legal for deer in a scenario like this?

Justin
    Last edited by jbkf1003; 06-22-2013 at 08:27 PM.

I sold my black rifle to help finance my Mini G build. Did pretty much the same thing you are, Jbk. Had a service grade CMP rifle I hand-picked from the South store, bought a new Criterion barrel, and sent her off to Shuff last October. I also put new furniture on to make sure she locked up nice and tight. Vivien has been a great rifle and always draws comments when I'm shooting around other folks. And she's accurate, as far as Garands with 16" barrels shooting Greek surplus ammo go. Just tonight I was pinging 8" steel plates at 100 yds with my irons. 4 out of 4 nailed the steel. 3 out of the other 4 hit the 10 ring on a shoot and see target at 100 yds with the 4th 1/4" outside. I didn't measure, but she was shooting about 3 MOA. I've also stocked some parts. Firing pins, extractors, ejectors, etc. I would absolutely trust my life to that rifle in any survival scenario. Congrats. You're going to love your new rifle.

Junior Cadet
    As I don't have a G, I would use my Armalite AR-10. I prefer the .308 to the 30-06 and was looking at getting a "Navy" Garand from CMP Until the elections hit and I decided to buy something right now. I agonized over a M1A SOCOM and the AR-10. I finally used the reasoning that the Military is moving away from the M-14 toward the Stoner design. I have a lot of time with a M-14 to the shoulder and I could shoot beyond 300 yards very well with open sights. But I would have to wait on one and that did not seem like a good idea to me. I beat the rush by a couple of weeks. Only so much Gun Budget!

Founding Member
    Guys, All these replacement parts???it sounds like the Ar stuff, ya know that pile of springs and pins kept in the rifle butt?Really?? Some of these Battle rifle have performed for hundreds of rounds and not all have had reg. cleaning...Other than my recent goofs with a couple of them...Save the money, and get more ammo..and have plenty of fresh water...just wish I could sent Tim , my oldest shooter and get it cut down...But I had to get that little short XM rifle to play with, and I can carry three times the shells.....Long-range, nah..But,Still saving for----Tim...

Cadet
    After the H&K 91 became avialable Mel Tappan tested several of them and it became one of, if not, his most favorite Bad Days rifle.

I believe in the Principle of Three... ie. One is NONE, Two is ONE, Three is what it takes to get the JOB DONE...

So, whatever rifle I picked for the Bad Days, or considering the current increasingly strict gun laws, just for future use, I would want at least two of them, with a good supply of spare parts.

One rifle would be my everyday,current user/shooter, with a No2, and even a No3, that had been shot and tested, standing buy in reserve.

A M1 Garand, stood the test of a WAR Rifle, I think we can all agree. A Mini-G, just makes it more handy. You can get it in 308 or 30/06.

One of the advantages of a Garand in 30/06 is that you can back up a Mini G or two with a few CMP standard sized 30/06 Garands.

IMHO, a CMP Garand is definately a best buy, in todays world.

Junior Cadet
    I like the Mini-G as a SHTF gun. I just published this article about it on my prepper blog.
    Last edited by Paltik; 01-19-2014 at 03:17 AM.

War Room Ready
    Well, if a filtration straw will fit in the butt of the stock, then it sure as sht will be.

Cadet
    Quote Originally Posted by Delta-3 View Post
    Well, since I received my new SIG 556R it's a toss-up with my mag fed Mini-G.
    I'm going with the Sig 556R, Sig 556 and PTR 91 (Yes, all 3). Just need to get the right stock so the "muscle memory" between the PTR and Sig's are the same. All have HK style diopter sights and ACOGs.

Alas, if I had to grab a single rifle, it would probably be (my to be ordered and built) Mini-G since I keep Garand clips loaded.