Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What Can I Get For $85K ?

What Can I Get For $85K ?

As most of you know, last April my wife of 26 years walked out on the marriage. California is a community-property state which means I'm entitled to 50% of everything she owns, and vice versa. I personally don't own any thing worth mentioning, the house is upside-down on the loan so it's a non-issue. What IS at issue is her retirement account. I stand to get about $85K out of it. I've been in the PRK for 57 out of 57 years and can't wait to get the Hell out of it. The best thing will be when I see it in my rear-view mirror. I won't be back. My lady friend is ready to leave the state as well. My question to ALL OF YOU is: What can I buy where, for $85K, give-or-take? It doesn't have to be a mansion. Just comfortable. We don't have any place set in stone. We're open to any and all suggestions. Please help out a fellow BT'er with your observations and comments. By the way, I'm as serious as a heart attack. I'm not doing this for an exercise in typing.
    Thanks guys.
    Jon

Take your pick, the real estate market is full of bargains at the moment, with houses selling for half of what they did during the peak about 5-6 years go.

If you don't mind a fixer upper, you can probably find lots of homes that were selling for $500k or more a few years back.

You won't get $85K. Her account will be divided by court order. This will create a separate account for you. You can withdraw money from that account, but only under certain terms and conditions. Cashing out the account will likely be a taxable event. Discuss this with a tax preparer our your attorney.
    "I have absolutely no idea why you would trust something as important as your life to the people on this forum." Fogtripper 1-6-10

And assuming you get at least $50K, you can purchase the entire town of Roundup Montana.
    "I have absolutely no idea why you would trust something as important as your life to the people on this forum." Fogtripper 1-6-10

Quote Originally Posted by dogboysdad View Post
    And assuming you get at least $50K, you can purchase the entire town of Roundup Montana.
    Not so fast, Stu and I had just prepared an offer for Roundup! We had been gathering cans for a week to throw this thing together and now you'll tell others about it just like that? For shame!

Jon, North or South Dakota will be lovely for you. Lots of jobs, rent is high but property/homes are cheap. Lots of stuff to kill. In particular, they need machinist types like YOU.

Jon - You are free to move anywhere. Use a bit of imagination and really think about what you want. Don't limit your thoughts to just gun-friendly states, think about climate, geography and anything else that's important to you. Have you ever been to the east coast? Montana? Alaska? Maybe visiting a few places will open things up a bit for you.

Good luck and enjoy this opportunity!
    !

The Dakota's;
    State income tax, what's that?
    Gun laws, what's that?
    Unemployment, what's that?
    Crappy Climate, in my opinion
    Hot chicks, maybe not
    Stuff to kill, everywhere
    unions, what are those? Because of this, there is a state that has all the rest.

Patriot
    Move to a small town in Central Texas. You will be close to a lot of hunting and fishing areas.

Founding Member Prince Humperdink's Avatar
    Jon,
    I would never consider Roundup,Mt.Billings is the largest City in Montana,and would have anything You need,and We have no state sales tax,pro gun laws,Lots of places to hunt and Fish and Our Women are hot(but I see You don't need that option),and the number 1 reason....We are not the Dakotas!
    "The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition, more insurmountable than any which a simple government of any form can admit of." -- James Madison (1788)

John you can also get CHEAP tattoo's in Roundup.
    Μολὼν λάβε
    VFW life member.
    NRA life member.