Thread: New to me M-1 Carbine -- a few questions

Junior Cadet

New to me M-1 Carbine -- a few questions

After a 15 year hiatus, I have an M-1 Carbine again (Blue Sky re-import Inland). I got another because the new Missus isn't hot on handguns, and we can take it to an indoor range close by. And, they are just plain cool.

1) It has a metal handguard. But it sucks. It is lumpy, uneven with the sight channel high on the right. Does anybody know if the Fulton Armory or Ultimak guards are better?

2) Has anybody considered drifting out the old peep sight and mounting a Burris FastFire?

3) What to do about brass? The few place I checked don't have much in the way of bulk brass. I can find some Remington, but am partial to Federal or Winchester. It looks like the best option is to buy Win USA ammo and collect brass. Is the Aguila brass good enough for a few reloads?

Thanks
    -m

On your first two questions, I don't like those metal guards either but I'd like to know how a Ultimak worked.

Junior Cadet
    Recently bought a Fulton Armory Stock set. Very nice, needed just a little nose fitting and some sanding on the butt.

For brass buy a case or two of ammo from the cmp to start