Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Ok guys anyone got a "stick and string" kill yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Punch The Clown View Post
    Tim Wrote "When I have shooter bucks stopping at my foot path, smelling my scent and walking closer to me from down wind, I start to wonder."

Maybe they want to have their way with you?
    Not maybe, I'm sure of it.

More fodder, I've gone out after a morning hunt of seeing nothing, started up my old Farmall M tractor, taken the loader and lifted a hunting blind in the air, moved it 60 yards, hunted it that night, killed bucks. Deer are dumb, not as dumb as democrats but still darn dumb.

OK fellers....Went out last night again. Had a doe decoy set up about 20 yards from my blind, and a decent bodied 7-point walked out from the timber 10 yards from me. He was pretty much focused on the decoy and walked slowly towards it. When he hit the blind spot in my blind I started to draw. I got about half way back and he took a step backwards and looked right at me (here we go again). I froze at half draw....after a few seconds I started to shake, and said the hell with it and went to full draw. He had his rear to me so I didn't really have a good shot, until he made a 1/4 turn to the right, and set me up for a perfect shot. I let it fly and hit him. He ran to the other side of the field and stopped to turn and look at me. Then he started licking his wound that I could see from all the way across the field. He stood there for a couple minutes then walked off over a hill. I waited a while then went to find him.....huge pool of blood where he was standing. I tracked him for maybe a half mile...

2012-11-13_18-07-20_489 (2).jpg

Not a huge rack, but I was shooting for meat. He went 150 lbs. That's my first bow kill ever, only my 2nd shot. My little brother told me he saw the one i winged last week, and he's fine. That's a relief.
    Last edited by howie; 11-14-2012 at 09:33 PM.
    NRA Life Member
    ISRA Member
    M1CC Member #144
    Certified FFII

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined.... O sir, we should have fine times, indeed, if to punish tyrants, it were only sufficient to assemble the people!"

Good for you man! Nothing like your first bow kill, I still remember mine and it came before my first rifle kill. Again good for you!

Congrats howie!!!!!!!!!! Man with that shot placement I'm surprised that deer went 50 yds!

Well fellows my deer was killed opening day of rifle by the landowner's friend from OKC. His grandson also took a wide 10 pt that I've not seen nor had any pictures of. (rut kicked in pretty hard about the 15th Rifle opened on the 17th.
    Photobucket
    So as I said earlier this is only an 80 acre tract, and it receives a significant amount of pressure. I was mildly depressed, yes I have several other bucks on camera, even have two young bucks "hookin horns" , but nothing I desire to shoot. I thought "well it's open season on doe again" Then today I went and checked my trail cam before going to mom's for turkey and look who showed up. This pic was on the 20th, but theres another pic of him this morning at 3:51 AM
    Photobucket
    So I'm back in the game! No he isn't a monster, but I'd proudly take him with my bow. My problem is rifle season doesn't end untill December 2nd, so he may not survive plus he may just be cruising through, but at least I have pics of him over a couple days (nights rather). At least it continues to motivate me to go back whether I see him or not!
    Good Luck and Good Hunting ALL! The Hoser, Oh and once again Congrats howie!!!!!!!!!!
    Have you ever heard anyone complain about having ammo left over after a gunfight?"

Thought you might like these, they're dinks but made for some neat pictures.
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    If you're wondering why they stopped right in front of camera to do this. In Oklahoma it's legal to have feeders and I will dig holes along certain travel routes and near bowstands. I fill these holes with corn and this will slow an otherwise "fast stepping" deer long enough to get a shot with "stick and string". There's just such a hole about 5 yds in front of the camera in these pics.
    In this next pic you can see they are effective
    Photobucket
    Hope you enjoy these pics, Good Luck and Good Hunting All! The Hoser
    Have you ever heard anyone complain about having ammo left over after a gunfight?"

6 days and not deer in sight.66 degrees today.35 for high tomorrow.
    Μολὼν λάβε
    VFW life member.
    NRA life member.

Quote Originally Posted by LEAD POISON View Post
    6 days and not deer in sight.66 degrees today.35 for high tomorrow.
    That ought to get 'em moving L.P. Hope you "center punch" a monster!!!!

Good Luck be safe...............afterall at your age it's easy to "break a hip!" LoL

Timmah said
    "I'll debate if my feelings on scent are entirely accurate but I will not debate my time in field under open air conditions. When I have shooter bucks stopping at my foot path, smelling my scent and walking closer to me from down wind, I start to wonder. That deer can and do have good noses is not my debate. What is my debate is what their response is with that big sniffer. I find they are like some roided up moron, all big and tuff, who can't score a 14 on the ACT test. Yah, deer have tools but in the end, they're simply an animal who hasn't evolved much past the thinking of a democrat."

Tim I have to agree , at least in part, with this. I have hunted stands before and every deer on the place came in straight downwind from me. Then there have been times I'd hear a deer "blow" and just catch a glimpse of a whitetail leaving. I don't know I think it depends on the day! What I have noticed is the later we get into season the more suspicious they become of anything unusual. So I try to be as clean and scent free as possible (yet I know I can't be completely so). I used to laugh at the early Scent Lok commercials where the boy says "grandpa we don't have to worry about the wind we have Scent Lok" As you said earlier deer don't always react frightened by scent, but you never know for sure what their response will be!
    Good Luck and Good Hunting All! The Hoser

Well guys late season here has been a "bust"! Since rifle season I had only been getting night time photos of deer! Then it cooled down we got about 6" of snow and I thought my luck might change. I went to check my camera and noticed "4 wheeler" tracks all over the property I hunt. Checked my camera and still night only bucks and does. So I moved the camera and went back in a week to check it. Once again 4 wheeler tracks right up to my camera. I thought "I've got you now!" Open my camera and the SD card and battery were missing. So night time only mystery solved, tresspassers riding through place have them spooked , and they took my SD card so I couldn't see who they were! I guess I can be thankful they didn't steal my camera!
    So I'm pouting trying to figure out how to catch tresspassers "considered stretching wires" but really didn't want to spend jail time for man slaughter, and a friend of mine invited me to go with him yesterday AM.
    Photobucket
    I shot a mature doe at 30 yards and I'm once again HAPPY
    Photobucket
    I started not to shoot her because she had a short head, I thought "man that looks like a big bodied fawn" so I took a gander at her through my binocs and noticed her face was deformed! Her nose was displaced back and to the left and her bottom jaw protruded about an inch or so. I guess she had a run in with a car or something in her younger days. Never seen a "hair lipped" deer before. The injury / deformity didn't prevent her from eating as she had a great deal of fat inside and on her back!
    Photobucket
    So with that I close my 2012 - 2013 deer season no bucks this year, but I have a freezer full of deer meat. Now I'm trying to figure out how to stop the 4 wheeler traffic on my place!
    Good Luck and Good Shooting All! The Hoser

Meat in the freezer.That's great.
    Μολὼν λάβε
    VFW life member.
    NRA life member.