Thread: Barrel cleaning

Barrel cleaning

How often if at all do you try to clean the copper gilding out of the barrel. Scott Duffs instructions on it are frankly tedious and never seems to get it all out. Any opinions or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I used to go nuts about my barrel cleaning. Now, I wipe a wet patch through with Hoppes, let it sit over night, run a few more wet ones through the next day and then a dry, done.

I know you read alot of this stuff its enough to start pulling your hair out.

Quote Originally Posted by timshufflin View Post
    I used to go nuts about my barrel cleaning. Now, I wipe a wet patch through with Hoppes, let it sit over night, run a few more wet ones through the next day and then a dry, done.
    This is pretty much how I started cleaning stuff years ago, usually AK type stuff with very corrosive ammo. Works well!

Eli

Quote Originally Posted by timshufflin View Post
    This is pretty much how I started cleaning stuff years ago, usually AK type stuff with very corrosive ammo. Works well!

Eli

Eli, with corrosive ammo, I probably like water and then the Hoppes.

well I just put hoppes in and put them away I'll continue tomorrow.

I rarely use copper cleaner but when I buy a new used rifle I do use Shooters Choice Copper Remover, the stuff is fantastic. You think you have a clean barrel when using Hoppes but run Shooters Choice CR through it and you will see how much copper it missed
    Its simple to use, clean out powder fouling, run a couple wet patches of Shooters Choice CR down bore. Let set 5 minutes and run a few dry pacthes down the bore. If barrel has copper fouling the patches will come out very blue.
    Best thing about this cleaner no brush is needed, all done chemically
    For normal cleaning after a trip to the range I use Hoppes
    Last edited by Orlando; 10-17-2012 at 02:43 PM.
    "I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

"Official 2010 Mini-G & 2011 Summer Postal Shoot Biggest Looser"

Cadet
    Every time to the range : CLP with otis system
    Every 250 rounds: Butches Bore Shine let sit an hour. Follow with dry patch Follow with CLP
    End of match season: Butches Bore Shine with nylon brush. Let sit an hour Follow with dry patch Followed by a bit of Rig on a patch to put her to bed til spring. Remember in the spring to clean with butches and dry patch before first trip to the range...Just what I do. Seems to work for me..

If I put any corrosive through bolt guns (never my Garands) I use windsheild washer fluid..does the trick. Followed up with CLP (gunzilla-water based)
    Last edited by GarandGrabber; 10-17-2012 at 02:49 PM.