Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Wyoming Big Game Season

2012 Wyoming Big Game Season

I had the great fortune to be able to spend a great deal of the past six weeks hunting for antelope, deer, and elk. It has been a great season so far, with a lot of great success and the opportunity to see a lot of God’s Country. I wish the photos were better, but I only had my phone this year for a camera…

I did not take an antelope this year. We found a huge buck that was spending his time on private property and we tried to obtain permission to hunt, but were denied. We spent a lot of time hunting that immediate area and watching him and trying to get lucky by catching him on the public, but never got the opportunity. This buck was the biggest antelope buck I have ever seen on the hoof!

Opening morning yielded a pack out of a good deer that a friend shot. That afternoon, we sat on our typical meadow where we spot from. This place never yields an opportunity to shoot from, but is a great place to glass from and formulate a plan to make a move on a deer. This afternoon, we found this buck and I got to shoot him from where I first sat down.

315 yards, perfect shot.
    Spent the next several hours packing him out and got back to camp well into the night.

This photo doesn't pick up that fifth, but its a nice photo.

The elk hunt took a tremendous more amount of time. I drew a great limited quota bull tag this year and had the opportunity to get a monster. The weather never really cooperated for us and we saw a ton of great bulls, but never in a position where we could effectively make a move on them. We had several days of tremendous wind. Watching the weather reports, sustained winds of 65mph and gusts to 85mph. How does one hold for wind like that? Despite it being in the 60’s and being dressed very well, with the wind like it was, I still froze my ass off at times. Wind like that just makes everything miserable. Its impossible to be still for glassing, constant dust, blurry eyes, etc. But, we persevered through it and finally on the morning of day 12 of a 14 day season, we had our first opportunity. He's not the toad I wanted, but still a very good bull, and it was time to make something happen as the season was about to close.

375 yards, steep uphill. Perfect shot.

This is where he stopped after sliding down the hill about 30 yards due to the steepness. That's the entrance hole...

Spent all day getting him packed out. Was very tired by evening!

Last edited by 13Fox; 10-28-2012 at 07:54 PM. Reason: somehow it all came out red...
    FIST FIRE SUPPORT TEAM.....Eyes bringing STEEL RAIN down on the enemy

Anybody want to shoot prairie dogs?!

Dude, I wanna go hunting with you!

Very nice.You earned them.
    Eat good.
    Μολὼν λάβε
    VFW life member.
    NRA life member.

There are TREES IN WYOMING??????

beautiful animals, bro. just beautiful.
    [SIGPIC]

Founding Member Prince Humperdink's Avatar
    Excellent!
    "The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition, more insurmountable than any which a simple government of any form can admit of." -- James Madison (1788)

Thanks for the pics and story, beautiful country
    "I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

"Official 2010 Mini-G & 2011 Summer Postal Shoot Biggest Looser"

Founding Member
    I can't see the write-up, but those pictures tell the story! Awesome animals.

I truely had a fantastic season. I worked my ass off on that bull and had some disappointing conditions to deal with, but I am thankful to have had the season that I did. It truly was a memorable season! I am looking forward to the meals those animals will provide. I get to hunt a few more days with my hunting buddy as he drew a limited quota bull tag to. Hopefully, we will have another pack out! And yes, Wyoming has lots of trees!

Oh, BTW, I was out hunting when the 6 mil S.A.s were available... RATS! I would have liked a shot at one...