Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Confusing Ejection Issue

Confusing Ejection Issue

Shot the Mini G again today. Love that rifle. I was pinging steel targets at 210 off-hand and 270 off a rest. Near the end of the day, I started playing with the gas plug. It was ejecting at 1-3 o'clock on the factory setting, but I wanted to get it closer to 5 per Tim's suggestion. First of all, nowhere in the instructions does it tell you which way to turn the key to allow more or less gas back to the oprod. I was assuming counter clockwise would allow less and clockwise more, but I was working blind. Through multiple minor adjustments I was able to get it ejecting at 5 o'clock, but its not consistent. While most stayed in the 3-5 range, 1 or 2 ejected up at 1 o'clock, all with the same setting. Also, I was getting failure to feeds. The first I've had with the rifle. I thought feed failures were the result of too much gas getting to the oprod causing it to move too fast to load the next round. But if it was getting too much gas, wouldn't it be throwing brass to the 12 o'clock position? I'm getting ftf's with brass at 5. I also had a handful of instances where the bolt did not close all the way. I'm talking maybe the last 1/8 inch. Just enough to make you think its closed at a glance, but not enough to rotate the bolt closed and enable the firing pin to strike the primer. Gas related? or just getting dirty? I'm super confused here. Hindsight 20/20, I should've stayed at the factory setting, but I really wanted to fine tune the gas system to ease wear on the rifle. Any help is appreciated.
    Last edited by HerkyBird; 11-14-2012 at 08:18 PM.

The more gas the closer to 12 the brass will be ejecting. Too much gas or too little gas will cause failures to feed, one from a fast bolt speed and the other from short stroking. I would adjust it till it's reliable and call it a day.
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau

I ran out of ammo at the range, so I had to cease adjusting. On the final setting, it eject 5 out of 8 at 5 o'clock, and she failed to feed 2 or 3 times. Which way on the plug does what?

Screw plug out to open, in to close
    "I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

"Official 2010 Mini-G & 2011 Summer Postal Shoot Biggest Looser"

Ok...open means more gas to the oprod, correct? And lefty loosey, righty tighty applies to the plug?

What about the bolt issue? Caused by short-stroking?

Open ,turning out means less gas, turn in to close or give more gas to op rod
    If rifle was short stroking you need to turn screw in or close
    "I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

"Official 2010 Mini-G & 2011 Summer Postal Shoot Biggest Looser"

Orlando is correct. It's been a while since I read the Schuster instructions that come with the gas screws but I could have sworn it described this pretty specifically, regardless, Orland is correct.

Yes, it's nice to get very little gas to function the rifle but you aren't doing any harm at one0'clock. The setting the rifle came set at is not the factory setting. The setting the rifle came with is the setting I set the rifle at to work reliably.

Quote Originally Posted by timshufflin View Post
    Orlando is correct. It's been a while since I read the Schuster instructions that come with the gas screws but I could have sworn it described this pretty specifically, regardless, Orland is correct.

Yes, it's nice to get very little gas to function the rifle but you aren't doing any harm at one0'clock. The setting the rifle came set at is not the factory setting. The setting the rifle came with is the setting I set the rifle at to work reliably.
    It doesn't. Something along the lines of "turn the key clockwise to close the plug and send more gas to the oprod, counter-clockwise to open and send less," would be nice.

I didn't realize you had adjusted it. My bad. REALLY wish I'd left it alone now.

Any word on the bolt issue?

Quote Originally Posted by HerkyBird View Post
    It doesn't. Something along the lines of "turn the key clockwise to close the plug and send more gas to the oprod, counter-clockwise to open and send less," would be nice.

I didn't realize you had adjusted it. My bad. REALLY wish I'd left it alone now.

Any word on the bolt issue?
    I don't believe you have a bolt issue Sir. If you didn't have enough gas, the oprod probably didn't have the required momentum to cycle properly. I don't know what kind of failures you had when you gave the firearm to little gas. If you would like, give me a call on Monday and I can talk to you some more. I'll be out of the world tomorrow through Sunday, Michigan firearm deer season opens

Oh, out of curiosity, what ammo was being used? If surplus ammo, you could see a very small gap at the bottom of the lug, it's normal. Surplus ammo does not fit into a saami chamber perfectly and this condition also persists on a standard Garand in some instances, particularly when using a new barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by timshufflin View Post
    I don't believe you have a bolt issue Sir. If you didn't have enough gas, the oprod probably didn't have the required momentum to cycle properly. I don't know what kind of failures you had when you gave the firearm to little gas. If you would like, give me a call on Monday and I can talk to you some more. I'll be out of the world tomorrow through Sunday, Michigan firearm deer season opens

Oh, out of curiosity, what ammo was being used? If surplus ammo, you could see a very small gap at the bottom of the lug, it's normal. Surplus ammo does not fit into a saami chamber perfectly and this condition also persists on a standard Garand in some instances, particularly when using a new barrel.
    It was surplus. It wasn't what you describe, though. The bolt did not close fully. I kinda thought it might be a gas issue, since it didn't start until I started jacking with the plug. But I'm a Garand noob and wanted to make sure. I appreciate all the help guys. Trying to learn as much as I can.

Tim, I have to say again that you did an awesome job on the rifle. The shoot today was a Squadron function and my squadron mates absolutely drooled all over the rifle. Everybody wanted to shoot it and all that did were immensely impressed. I received compliment after compliment on the rifle's looks (I did take partial credit for refinishing the stock ) as well as the handling characteristics. I have never shot at anything past 100 yards before today and was pleasantly surprised with the rifle's ability to hit steel at 210 and 270 yards. Kudos to you!