Thread: Gas Plug Questions

Gas Plug Questions

A couple of questions. I just got my new Mini G (Thanks Tim, pictures to come) and I got the gas plug adjustment instructions, but the gas plug looks different than it does in the pictures. It came with an Allen wrench, but looking inside the plug there's no allen head, it looks like a rod. So, my questions:

1. What am I missing about how to adjust it?

2. I think I read in another thread that Tim adjusts them to work and they're not at non function setting when we get one from Tim. Is this correct and do I just start shooting it and go from there?

3. What else do I need to know about using this adjustable plug?

Thanks in advance.

Okay, I see the allen head now, old eyes.

I still don't get what I'm supposed to do, though. Please help.

Disregard, called Tim, he answered all my questions.

Junior Cadet
    Yeah, those Shuster instructions are not that clear. Here's the process I used after talking to Tim.

First, check with Tim to see if you rifle came adjusted already for the ammo you are using, this will save you some time. I use a couple different brands / types, so I adjust to the ammo.
    1. use your allen key to back out the allen screw a bit. Not all the way, I make sure it's still in a few turns. This is your minimum / no gas setting
    2. Load and fire a single round. verify to see if your bolt locks back.
    3. screw IN you allen screw as recommended by Shuster (1/4 turn I think) if it does not lock back
    4. load and fire another single round. does it lock back? If no, repeat step 3.
    - screwing IN (clockwise) the allen screw INCREASES the amount of gas
    5. Once you find the right setting where the bolt does lock back, you are golden. I then go another quarter turn IN (for reliability)

Take your time and you'll have the perfect setting. Of note, keep an eye on the Shuster plug itself to ensure it doesn't get loose, if it loosens, you can tighten with a 1/4 socket extension or large flat blade screwdriver. If it does get loose, it will affect your gas setting and mess up your adjustment.

Quote Originally Posted by Ride View Post
    Yeah, those Shuster instructions are not that clear. Here's the process I used after talking to Tim.

First, check with Tim to see if you rifle came adjusted already for the ammo you are using, this will save you some time. I use a couple different brands / types, so I adjust to the ammo.
    1. use your allen key to back out the allen screw a bit. Not all the way, I make sure it's still in a few turns. This is your minimum / no gas setting
    2. Load and fire a single round. verify to see if your bolt locks back.
    3. screw IN you allen screw as recommended by Shuster (1/4 turn I think) if it does not lock back
    4. load and fire another single round. does it lock back? If no, repeat step 3.
    - screwing IN (clockwise) the allen screw INCREASES the amount of gas
    5. Once you find the right setting where the bolt does lock back, you are golden. I then go another quarter turn IN (for reliability)

Take your time and you'll have the perfect setting. Of note, keep an eye on the Shuster plug itself to ensure it doesn't get loose, if it loosens, you can tighten with a 1/4 socket extension or large flat blade screwdriver. If it does get loose, it will affect your gas setting and mess up your adjustment.
    Very good!

FYI, all mini G's are set before I ship and tested with the following;
    .308- M80
    30/06- Greek hxp or LC

Tried it out today. It functioned as it was, but it was throwing brass at 12 o'clock. I was shooting PMC 147 grain. I opened it up a couple of turns until it wouldn't eject and load another round, then I adjusted until it worked. The only odd thing was that it wasn't consistent about where it threw brass. The brass was landing anywhere from 2 o'clock to 5 o'clock.

Love the rifle. Stopped at our local gun store to show it off and made everyone jealous.

My Hopco RMR mount came today, so tomorrow I'll replace the rear sight with an RMR. Pictures to come.

The Mini-G, like a standard Garand, is not a Rolex. You are dealing with a machine that has tolerance issues and maybe has them on every shot, hence not shooting every round in the same hole. I wouldn't worry too much about the brass going to the same spot on every shot. I can't count the number of standard Garand's that do the same thing.

My Armalite 223 will throw brass in a neat pile, NONE of my Garands will do this. Its normal for a Battle Rifle
    "I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

"Official 2010 Mini-G & 2011 Summer Postal Shoot Biggest Looser"

Good to know. I'm new to Garands and everyone talks about where they're throwing the brass, so I paid attention.