Thread: Vertical Stringing

Vertical Stringing

Today I shot a five inch group at 100 yards. It was about an inch and a quarter wide, but five inches vertical. Some of that could definitely be my sight picture, I'm using a red dot sight, but I'm wondering if it could be a gas plug adjustment. I didn't let the barrel cool, but it wasn't hot either.

Thoughts?

Could be a lot of things. Need some more info:

- are you shooting from a rest? bag?

- is this a new stock or old stock?

Knowing nothing more than what you have already posted, the first thing i would look at is stock fit. if you have a new stock - ESPECIALLY the fatter Boyds profile - and you didn't already remove a ton of material, you need to.

- Is there enough play in the front guard that it slides back and forth?
    - Take the front guard off and, with the rest of the rifle fully assembled, slide a dollar bill between the barrel and stock. It should slide all the way up and down easily. If the barrel touches the wood anywhere, you need to properly fit the stock (do the same between the rear guard and barrel, btw)
    - Make sure there is enough room between the face of the receiver and the back of the rear guard to slide a business card in there. YOu don't want the two tight to each other
    Last edited by seaninmich; 12-01-2012 at 09:10 PM.
    [SIGPIC]

He gots a Mini G Sean, no front guard, but I suppose the same thing could happen if the gas cylinder it to tight against the lower band???
    "I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

"Official 2010 Mini-G & 2011 Summer Postal Shoot Biggest Looser"

Quote Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
    He gots a Mini G Sean, no front guard, but I suppose the same thing could happen if the gas cylinder it to tight against the lower band???

Isn't he the guy with the pepper lam stock? if so, that'a a fat ass boyds stock. I'm calling it stock channel clearance until further info
    [SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by dross View Post
    .... I'm using a red dot sight....

make sure that the optic is goot-n-tight