Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M1911 aficionados

M1911 aficionados

I was offered a 1911 today and need some input before I go look at it. I have not been following prices and am not an expert on 1911’s. Any thoughts on price or deal breakers? I did not get a serial number. He said if I don’t want it he is going to list it on line.

The description I got was, ‘It’s an early M1911, not A1, it appears to be all original but not sure, is US Gov marked, has original grips with it but there are very old pearl handle grips installed, the finish is thin, it has what appears to be the original clip and a newer clip with it’. Now that’s not much to go on since original is a wide open term with some. He is talking in the $850-900 range.

There are allot of variables and know I do not know most of them so any input would be appreciated.
    Last edited by rlelvis; 05-19-2011 at 04:36 PM.
    "Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!"

$850 is awesome as long as it hasnt been Bubbafied.

Original grips are scarce but there are nice repop ones that I have owned and were not ashamed of.

Pics baby!
    Photobucket

"Opinions are like a$$holes. Everybody has one and everyone else's stinks."

Cal30M1 , Garbageman Supreme

I hope for your sake it's a SPRINGFIELD!!!

In general, if slide, frame and barrel all jive, I think it's a good deal.....but you're right, a lot more details are needed......

Nope, its a Colt, SN 275xxx, problem is the seller thinks it is in the USMC sn block; he found this out after we talked the first time. This is not what I found on line though. Anybody have info on this? Will try to post a couple of pics I took.

Overall it is in Poor/Fair condition but from what I know is 95% org and correct. Little to NO finish remaining, bore is filthy and appears to be pitted Marked PH, the link is loose and well worn, these is light pitting on the frame and slide. Slide is marked Model OF 1911 US ARMY, frame is not marked United States Property, insp proof appears to be 'JM' or 'UM' (I have not found this one yet), grrips appear to be correct, I did not pull the grips of strip beyond the slide. The screw on the right side of clip latch is broken.

I have really been looking for a 'rebuild' for a shooter so I am now thinking that I need to lower my price. Any thoughts?

pics to follow.

See if these work

Attachment 87Attachment 88Attachment 89Attachment 90

Would appreciate any input on this one.

Probably JMG Inspection initials.....

No "USP"? That sucks......

Barrel looks correct....

Quote Originally Posted by BRUTUS View Post
    Probably JMG Inspection initials.....

No "USP"? That sucks......

Barrel looks correct....
    So whats a fair market $ figure???

Check the bore?
    I'd hammer on the fact somebody ruined the frame by buffing off the USP markings......
    And USMC is from 215,387-217,386 so don't let him jack up the price on tht account........

PRICE: Depends how bad you want it...It's close to correct, but the frame will never heal......

Quote Originally Posted by BRUTUS View Post
    Check the bore?
    I'd hammer on the fact somebody ruined the frame by buffing off the USP markings......
    And USMC is from 215,387-217,386 so don't let him jack up the price on tht account........

PRICE: Depends how bad you want it...It's close to correct, but the frame will never heal......

Did the commercial transfers have the USP stamped? I did not see any indication of this being scrubbed, but I was no looking for it either.

If it is a commercial "conversion" it'll have an "S" stamped on the frame at the 6 o' clock position of the disconnector hole.......