Thread: Difference in 1903 and 1903a3 floorplate screws??

Difference in 1903 and 1903a3 floorplate screws??

Guys is there a difference in 1903 and 1903a3 floorplate/trigger guard screws??
    I needed a front screw for the 1903 , someone sent me a 1903a3 screw but it doesnt set flush as the bottom of the screw is no rounded/beveled . Is the bottom of the 1903 screw beveled so it sets flush in the plate?
    Thanks
    "I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

"Official 2010 Mini-G & 2011 Summer Postal Shoot Biggest Looser"

I thought the front screws were the same. Roadkingtrax would know.
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau

Pic of original front screw.

When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau

I never looked at it that closely until now. Maybe it's the difference between the milled and stamped trigger guards. On both of my A3's the screws are slightly recessed. On my 03's the screws are flush with the trigger guard. Bill Ricca lists the screws as being the same on his website. Maybe you received a repo screw.
    Last edited by jak; 12-12-2012 at 10:25 AM.
    John

Don't worry if plan "A" fails, there are still 25 other letters in the alphabet.

Looking for S/A bayonets s/n 922033 & 1045220

Proud Member of M1CC #112

Bill, I'm going by a place that has original '03s today. They're used, but I'll try to get a good one. Stu

They arent repros they came from Ricca and look just like Stu's pic but dont fit flush. I'll have to look it over again
    "I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

Bill, I picked you up one today. It's original 03. PM me your address again and I'll mail it right out.

Front hole 1903a3 screws, made for a time during WW2 were like .10 longer (guessing on dimension). I read this in Remington engineer Campbell's 1903 book, and can get the reference later tonight.

If I recall, Pre-war 1903's NOT having the forward screw holes drilled through the receiver like that of 1903a3's and mid-42 1903 Remingtons, caused the action to remain slightly loose in the stock. A loose receiver against the recoil block, would than translate to poor accuracy...and perhaps damage to the wood.

I believe the eventual fix by the government was to standardize the lengths to pre-WW2 dimensions. This of course means there are two different screw lengths, and the manufacturing max and minimum dimensions floating around.

Best bet would be to get several, and see which one fits the best.
    Last edited by Roadkingtrax; 12-14-2012 at 10:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Punch The Clown View Post
    Bill, I picked you up one today. It's original 03. PM me your address again and I'll mail it right out.
    Thanks Stu, you are a Gentleman and a Scholar

Quote Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
    Thanks Stu, you are a Gentleman and a Scholar
    "O" don't tell Stu things like that! They'll just go to his head! Gotta remember I know how these "paragods" are 'cause I is one!

Seriously Stu will do anything he can to help. When I was looking at an IHC M1 he drove to the shop and checked it out for me and then called to give me a report! "ole Stu is a GOOD EGG!"
    Have you ever heard anyone complain about having ammo left over after a gunfight?"