Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One piece at a time!

Founding Member Prince Humperdink's Avatar

One piece at a time!

Fellas,
    I now have a goal to build a retroA1,but I do not know a single thing about black rifles.I am forced to do this without an income,so it will be done by trading and such,but since I received a set of old Triangle handguards from my friend I have no choice.Here are my questions;
    1)Are all standard lowers compatible with most uppers?
    2)what type of upper/lower will be best to get as close as possible to Vietnam era M16?
    3)where is the best place to buy parts when I can,for the cheapest price?
    4)what are the best budget barrels,and what length is proper for a USGI copy?
    I'd appreciate any help with this and suggestions,
    Thanks,
    Ryan
    "The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition, more insurmountable than any which a simple government of any form can admit of." -- James Madison (1788)

Founding Member
    Have you looked through the retro forum on ar15.com? I cant answer your questions but if you can stand the attitude of some over there it appears to have a lot of info.

"I have absolutely no idea why you would trust something as important as your life to the people on this forum." Fogtripper 1-6-10

Ryan,
    The days of cheap Retro builds are gone. You used to be able to pic up USGI Uppers fairly cheap. Now they are hard to find and when you do are pricey. Price will depend on what you are building and if you want to build correct or just a shooter
    If I were building another today I would just wait until I found a deal on a USGI Upper. You can use modern internals if you want.
    USGI Upper color is a gray (unless refinished)not black like modern AR's so if you mate it to a modern lower it will stick out like a sore thumb. Nodak Spud sells A1 replica lowers that match and sometimes have blems for sale cheaper
    Wish I could help ya out Hump but I got rid of my extra parts some time ago

Heres a forum that has alot of info to help with your build
    http://www.retroblackrifle.com/
    Last edited by Orlando; 12-13-2012 at 07:01 AM.
    "I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

"Official 2010 Mini-G & 2011 Summer Postal Shoot Biggest Looser"

One more thing, any USGI Upper will fit on a commercial lower, its the Colt SP1's that have a different sized pin hole. You can get pin adapters for them though if you run across one
    "I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

Someday when I'm rich, I'll join you high hog eatin boys in one of these builds. The M16 appeals to me much much more than the m14.

Patriot
    Orlando , how much do these usgi uppers complete go for these days? I purchased a few real cheap some time ago . Thanks ,

I'm really not up on pricing on them. Again, it depends on what upper you have. Never know if alot of them would hit the market again prices might lower some
    I'll dig around and see what they are going for

I just sold 3 USGI uppers in the last few weeks. One was an early XM upper (circa 1966) and it sold for $180. A circa 1968 upper went for $160 and a 70's LM upper went for $125.

The retro section on afrcom is a great place for info and tips.

I just sold all of my crap scrHumpcious but I'll peek about and see if I have anything left to feed your sickness!

Yep I got a few turds left. Shoot me an email!

That Colt upper is the $180 upper.
    Colt Barrel sold for $325 with handguards.
    Lower sold for $275 with stock and grip.
    Colt bolt group sold for $155.
    Bayo sold for $40.

This upper sold for $160.
    The reproduction XM177E2 barrel sold for $325.
    The reproduction stock sold for $125.

RETRO is not cheap anymore HumpaLuscious.

You could go "retroesque" and come in under $500 if you take your time. Polymer lowers are cheap as are M4 blaster barrels. Call it an Air Force build and shoot the sheet out of it!
    Last edited by Cal30M1; 12-13-2012 at 07:46 PM.
    Photobucket

"Opinions are like a$$holes. Everybody has one and everyone else's stinks."

Cal30M1 , Garbageman Supreme

Hey Cal, whats USGI barreled uppers going for?? Wasnt that long ago they were around $250-$300 depending on what they were and if original finish
    I did some looking around and saw later A1's selling for $450 + !!

+