Thread: 20 or 30 round mags for SKS ?

Patriot

20 or 30 round mags for SKS ?

I have a Russian SKS and never even thought much about 20 round mags for it till recently. I saw tapco sells them and I was wondering if any of you have any input on them. i have no intentions of altering this rifle but would buy the mag for shits and giggles . Any thoughts before I waste 40 bucks? Thanks

Patriot
    It may just be me but i have a heck of a time getting extended cap mags to fit into my russian or yugo sks i gave up and just leave the 10 rder in them
    I erased my signature and don't know why.

Mine fit, they just dont work.

You'd be hard-pressed to find a 20 or 30-round aftermarket SKS mag that is anything resembling reliable. A lot of the time, just getting them to fit, period, is a hassle. At the minimum, you'd probably have to trim some wood from around the inside of the mag well in the stock itself. At the opposite end of the spectrum, you'll end up with an SKS that accepts the fancy mags, but they rattle side to side terribly.

The SKS-M, now that's a different story. They work great with AK mags, because they were built to.
    "Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it."

I have tried most,as said they don't work.EXCEPT FOR THE CHINESE 20 rd with the star on the side.They are great.
    Μολὼν λάβε
    VFW life member.
    NRA life member.

I had one of the Chinese 20 rounders. It fit in my Norinco SKS, but would not work. Never bothered with anything but the standard 10 rounder and a 5 round mag when my daughters used it for a pig rifle.

Patriot
    Kinda late getting back to this but jsut wanted to say thanks to all who replied . I was thinking it sounded pretty neat at a fair price. I guess it was a good idea to ask you guys first. Thanks for the advice guys. Needless to say I just left well enough alone. thanks again.

Founding Member
    Well it is too late for a good reply..I did sucessfully cut down a 30 round chinese AK mag and make it work..It took a lot of bending on the tang in front to make it feed..I did not cut out any of the stock.. My other sks has the Thermo--montecarlo stock and feeds from a factory20 rd.plastic mag....So it was the mother of inventions that caused it years ago.. Since then they sit in the back... I did because I could not buy the para-trooper sks model here..