Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WTB: 3 Servicable Garand gas cylinders.

Even w/o a bayo lug, doesn't the threaded barrel still make it a "bad" gun? Down here in Maryland we're under threat of similar legislation being introduced, so we're watching closely how NY interprets their poorly written statute. About the only thing unambiguous about that law is its obvious intent to give an "NY salute" to law abiding gun owners.

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Even w/o a bayo lug, doesn't the threaded barrel still make it a "bad" gun? Down here in Maryland we're under threat of similar legislation being introduced, so we're watching closely how NY interprets their poorly written statute. About the only thing unambiguous about that law is its obvious intent to give an "NY salute" to law abiding gun owners.
    The threaded muzzle thing is just poor law because;
    - How far can the threading be from the muzzle?
    - If there's no measurement, just about every rifle is illegal because most all of them thread into the receiver.
    - If there's a requirement as to what the threading is needed for, it needs to be stated. This would clear up rifles like the M1a, Garand...

If NY and other states who are copying them (MA & possibly MD) don't fix the ambiguity, is there an engineering fix to be compliant? For example, a non-threaded barrel with a shallow milled slot where the threads would be, and a drilled hole in the GCL that takes a roll pin to fix the GCL in place? You could lathe off the threads from the barrel, and put an insert in the GCL that mates with the GCL threads and presents a smooth, precise fit inner surface to OD of the barrel.

The context of the threaded barrel language strongly implies it is referring to threading at the muzzle end that can be used to add attachments, not to the receiver-barrel attachment. Of course, a judge is under no obligation to agree with my interpretation.

I'm confident the worst parts of these laws won't stand up to judicial scrutiny based on the Heller decision (how common are Garands, and AR clones, & AK variants?), someone gets to be a test case. The backers of these laws are betting most owners don't want to take that risk.
    Last edited by Shug; 01-21-2013 at 10:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    If NY and other states who are copying them (MA & possibly MD) don't fix the ambiguity, is there an engineering fix to be compliant? For example, a non-threaded barrel with a shallow milled slot where the threads would be, and a drilled hole in the GCL that takes a roll pin to fix the GCL in place? You could lathe off the threads from the barrel, and put an insert in the GCL that mates with the GCL threads and presents a smooth, precise fit inner surface to OD of the barrel.

I'm confident the worst parts of these laws won't stand up to judicial scrutiny based on the Heller decision (how common are Garands, and AR clones, & AK variants?), someone gets to be a test case. The backers of these laws are betting most owners don't want to take that risk.

I'm not at all confident. These jackwagons don't even know what the words "shall not be infringed" means.

Quote Originally Posted by timshufflin View Post
    The threaded muzzle thing is just poor law because;
    - How far can the threading be from the muzzle?
    - If there's no measurement, just about every rifle is illegal because most all of them thread into the receiver.
    - If there's a requirement as to what the threading is needed for, it needs to be stated. This would clear up rifles like the M1a, Garand...

According to the NY law, the threaded barrel issue is for a barrel threaded to accept a muzzle break - the garand applies.
    [SIGPIC]

According to the New Jersey written law, any muzzle that was originally threaded to accept a flash hider is one of the items on the forbidden list. The Garand is exempt from this provision. If any other firearm has a threaded muzzle & flash hider, you can machine off the threads, & put on a fake flash hider, or muzzle break.
    Last edited by The Garand Guy; 01-25-2013 at 10:59 PM.
    The Garand Guy
    garandguy.com

Hey the gas trap ain't got no barrel threads does it?????
    Staten Island German Martial Arts (S.I.G.M.A.)
    http://www.sigmanewyork.webs.com/

Time to feed the pigs!!!!!!

The sword of time will pierce our skins
    It doesn't hurt when it begins
    But as it works its way on in
    The pain grows stronger...watch it grin.

And I did call on gubmint time HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!

mIKE

The gas trap barrels have threads. The gas cylinder screws on, & the sight blade holds it in place. It was a very inefficient system.
    The Garand Guy
    garandguy.com

Thank you Mister Tim. I have only one question WHAT IS THAT SMELL!!!!!!!!

Mike