Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 308 or 30-06

Cadet
    At the risk of being Tarred and Feathered, I offer the following "random thoughts".

There is nothing wrong with a full sized 30/06 Garand.

I do love a Tanker sized Garand. [I do not have a MiniG sized Garand, but I do know I would love it as well].

I have a lot of experience shooting full sized 30/06, and 308 Garands and 30/06 and 308 Tankers.

I have had problems, and so do not shoot factory commercial hunting ammo in any 30/06 Garand. I have not tried any of the adjustable gas plugs.

I have not had any problems shooting factory commercial hunting ammo in any 308 Garand.

For that reason I would prefer a 308 Garand IF I was going to install a new barrel.

IF a person was to buy a 30/06 Garand, I would just recommend to them to buy a BUNCH of 30/06 ammo, suitable for a Garand.

And a Gross or two of enbloc clips as well.

For Hunting ammo, just load 150 to 180gr bullets to Match ammo Garand 30/06 specs for your rifle, and all is good.

I have found NO difference in reliability, between a 30/06 or a 308 Garand, as long as proper ammo is used.

Cadet
    Also I just do not see the need for a magazine fed Garand...

That is what a M1-A is for... LOL...

I had Tim do mine in .308 and retaining the standard Garand magazine. If I'd had the extra cash at the time, I'd have gone mag fed. I have an M1A, there's no comparison between the Mini-G and that rifle; they handle differently.

Hmm, now where did I put that bucket of tar...

Quote Originally Posted by grumpyoldretiredcop View Post
    I had Tim do mine in .308 and retaining the standard Garand magazine. If I'd had the extra cash at the time, I'd have gone mag fed. I have an M1A, there's no comparison between the Mini-G and that rifle; they handle differently.

Hmm, now where did I put that bucket of tar...
    Just out of curiousity...which do you prefer? M1A or the Mini G?