Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sean . . .

Patriot
    Just so I'm perfectly clear on this, some of you are grounding electrical equipment based on the color of a screw???

Be afraid; be very, very afraid!

Quote Originally Posted by KnickKnack View Post
    Just so I'm perfectly clear on this, some of you are grounding electrical equipment based on the color of a screw???

Be afraid; be very, very afraid!

well, the screw has to at least be some sort of metal.
    [SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by toolman View Post
    I wire every new home i build. And i have put in hundreds of breaker boxes. Also a lot of older homes still have fuse boxes with no grounding rod. According to the codes you even have to put the cooper wiring #4 or #6 soild state running from the outside panel in plastic conduit to keep a back feed from happening. Which is a bit over kill,but i dont write the codes. Besides conduit isnt a proper grounding method anyways. Peace toolman

We have to pound in two ground rods here and they have to be so many feet apart. can't recall which. Also has to be grounded to water line. 3 points ground. stupid.
    [SIGPIC]

Patriot
    Grounding rod here at the meter box, 4 feet in the ground. Also ground to incoming water supply pipe from breaker box.

Grounding to water pipes, while once common, is no longer considered safe in many locales. Not only does it pose safety issues, but can also cause electrolysis to destroy plumbing components. Single point grounding via an 8 foot ground rod is preferred. Multiple grounds in a residential system can create different potentials within the electrical system and this is not a good idea, particularly for electronics and computers. This is not necessarily true in industrial installations but they utilize an interconnected "grid" system with protective devices installed for electronics and computer systems. Not an electrician but I do have considerable experience with water utility systems utilizing computerized monitoring systems. Just my .02.
    "The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion." Edmund Burke

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

"God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the firepower to make the difference."

Quote Originally Posted by csacpt View Post
    Multiple grounds in a residential system can create different potentials within the electrical system and this is not a good idea, particularly for electronics and computers.

They made us go to 3 ground points here several years ago. My guys always bitched when I made them beat the rods in for the electrician
    [SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by seaninmich View Post
    They made us go to 3 ground points here several years ago. My guys always bitched when I made them beat the rods in for the electrician
    Well, those who make the rules, many times, don't have a clue. LOL I suspect you might agree. In truth, one size fits all, usually fits nobody.
    "The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion." Edmund Burke

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

"God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the firepower to make the difference."

Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by csacpt View Post
    Grounding to water pipes, while once common, is no longer considered safe in many locales. Not only does it pose safety issues, but can also cause electrolysis to destroy plumbing components. Single point grounding via an 8 foot ground rod is preferred. Multiple grounds in a residential system can create different potentials within the electrical system and this is not a good idea, particularly for electronics and computers. This is not necessarily true in industrial installations but they utilize an interconnected "grid" system with protective devices installed for electronics and computer systems. Not an electrician but I do have considerable experience with water utility systems utilizing computerized monitoring systems. Just my .02.
    Gotta agree with you completely here, was just saying how they want it done here. My house has had that system in place for 60 years, with no issues to the plumbing (copper cold water side). In fact, when they installed the computerized water meters here a few years back, they made sure that the ground from the panel was completely secure. Honestly not sure how the potential is affected in my house by having two grounding points, I've never checked it.

Quote Originally Posted by KnickKnack View Post
    Gotta agree with you completely here, was just saying how they want it done here. My house has had that system in place for 60 years, with no issues to the plumbing (copper cold water side). In fact, when they installed the computerized water meters here a few years back, they made sure that the ground from the panel was completely secure. Honestly not sure how the potential is affected in my house by having two grounding points, I've never checked it.
    Electrical systems are like people, every one is different. Even measuring everything doesn't always work. I've seen problems that took many hours to solve, and sometimes never did figure it out. Some work even though they are "wrong," but I've replaced many a water meter or valve that was eaten up by electrolysis, one house out of many, no telling.

Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by seaninmich View Post

You dont have to pound them in the ground.. All you need is a gallon of water!!! Peace Toolman