Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MIni G Accurizing

MIni G Accurizing

Any quick and easy accurizing tips? Does an ultimak rail affect accuracy one way or another?

Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by dross View Post
    Any quick and easy accurizing tips? Does an ultimak rail affect accuracy one way or another?
    Ultimak seems to have no negative effect on accuracy. Mine also needs no modifications. Shoots real well with the Schuster plug that Tim installed.

What is your definition of accurate? It's possible that the rifle may not be able to meet your goals. I only promise standard Garand accuracy, not match accuracy. I have not noticed negative affects on accuracy from the Ultimak.

My HBAR mag fed BM-14 is quite accurate. It is on par with any of my Garands.
    "I have absolutely no idea why you would trust something as important as your life to the people on this forum." Fogtripper 1-6-10

Quote Originally Posted by timshufflin View Post
    What is your definition of accurate? It's possible that the rifle may not be able to meet your goals. I only promise standard Garand accuracy, not match accuracy. I have not noticed negative affects on accuracy from the Ultimak.
    My definition of accurate? A rifle that covers up all my mistakes and makes me shoot better than I can.

My question is more general than specific. I'm just asking about general things I could do to tighten groups. For instance, I've read the rear handguard shouldn't be tight against the stock or the receiver. I've read that the trigger group should be tight in the stock. Are those true in your experience? How much does glass bedding help? Just general stuff like that.

Patriot
    You can't do the accurrizing til you've shot the rifle and see what you have. You are way ahead of yourself. Rear handguards are a 2 minute fix. Trigger group should have a tight draw. This is all common stuff. How much glass bedding helps is another question that cannot be answered. It may help, it may hurt, it may not make any difference. A "G" is a carbine basically. If you are looking for 1/2 minute stuff at a 100 yds. with any Grarand, good luck. More like 2"-3" is pretty good in my book.

The trigger group should be "tight". By tight, good resistance within 1/2" of closing. I've found with the Mini-G that the handguard scenario doesn't necessarily apply, the barrel is short and very rigid so not nearly as susceptible to barrel whip and harmonics. Glass bedding, I wouldn't waste my time but your wants and needs are what matters.

I understand people's want to turn everything into something that shoots .001" at 100 yards but on the G the biggest things that seem to affect accuracy are the muzzle, trigger lock up, tight gas cylinder, and stock clearance under the front of the barrel. I hunt critters and don't punch paper so I just don't get into all the stuff that paper punchers do. I just want my gun to go bang and hit stuff at 200 yards.

Patriot
    Dross, get a "G". Tim makes a damn fine rifle and I doubt you'll regret it. Don't get up in all the accuracy stuff. Every, EVERY guy I have let shoot my "G", wants it and typically makes me an offer. I just picked another receiver and in time will get it to Tim for another. The only paper test I've done with mine was to shoot it at 80 yards, kneeled down off my other knee with HXP ammo. Sort of rapid fire and it puled in a solid 2.5" group. I am no match shooter. I sent Tim a new Criterion barrel to use. Others use surplus barrels and still have great luck and tons of fun shooting it. He also is great to talk to over the phone. Call the man and get it ordered.

Quote Originally Posted by buckshot85 View Post
    You can't do the accurrizing til you've shot the rifle and see what you have. You are way ahead of yourself. Rear handguards are a 2 minute fix. Trigger group should have a tight draw. This is all common stuff. How much glass bedding helps is another question that cannot be answered. It may help, it may hurt, it may not make any difference. A "G" is a carbine basically. If you are looking for 1/2 minute stuff at a 100 yds. with any Grarand, good luck. More like 2"-3" is pretty good in my book.

Exactly correct. I have this conversation with someone probably every other day. I designed and marketed this rifle as open sight, semi automatic, hunting rifle first. I can appreciate those who want to wring out every bit of accuracy they can, it's fun, but it's not what I designed it for. The Mini-G does have a short, strong, rigid barrel though and that makes up for a lot of sin.

Quote Originally Posted by buckshot85 View Post
    Dross, get a "G". Tim makes a damn fine rifle and I doubt you'll regret it. Don't get up in all the accuracy stuff. Every, EVERY guy I have let shoot my "G", wants it and typically makes me an offer. I just picked another receiver and in time will get it to Tim for another. The only paper test I've done with mine was to shoot it at 80 yards, kneeled down off my other knee with HXP ammo. Sort of rapid fire and it puled in a solid 2.5" group. I am no match shooter. I sent Tim a new Criterion barrel to use. Others use surplus barrels and still have great luck and tons of fun shooting it. He also is great to talk to over the phone. Call the man and get it ordered.
    I do appreciate the kind words. The real accuracy issue that CAN come up with a Mini-G is from time to time you'll have one shoot high. This is easily fixed by grinding/milling the base of the rear sight aperture. I believe that this is more common on the Mini-G then on a standard Garand. Any time this has happened I gladly pay to have the person ship me their rear aperture and I make the mod. I would do it standard but fear that someone would object to the mod and don't want to have that hassle if not needed. This happens maybe 1 in 25 to 35 rifles.