Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MIni G Accurizing

If you ever run into a rifle were grinding the rear aperture isnt enough Roland Beaver sells a tall front sight. Not cheap but its a fix
    "I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

"Official 2010 Mini-G & 2011 Summer Postal Shoot Biggest Looser"

Shot for groups today. Two 5 round groups at 100 yards. One group was 5", one was 6". Moved to 200 yards, 5 rounds, 11" group.

How does this compare to what you guys are used to?

That is not a very good group at all. What ammo? Scoped or unscoped?

Not scoped. Ammo was a civilian version of 7.62 ball. I forget the company.

Quote Originally Posted by dross View Post
    Not scoped. Ammo was a civilian version of 7.62 ball. I forget the company.
    What are your normal Garand iron sight groups? Don't get me wrong, I've seen plenty of 5" groups in our postal shoots but I have no idea of your or anyone else's true skill levels.

Dross, I pretty much suck compared to Canes and Orlando, but I still manage reasonable groups. The G isn't plagued by all that wood in front so it should be at least as accurate as a full size Garand BUT!!! remember the sight radius is way shorter. What the Italians did on the BM59's to make up for this was to use a .062 width front sight which is the same as a US National Match. They're available. Also, a rear NM aperture helps, especially if you're over 40 years old. Also, I printed up targets that are just a 6" black ball on white paper and use a 6 o'clock hold and get some reasonable groups.
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau

What size groups are you getting? What's reasonable?

I'm using a 3.25 MOA RMR red dot, mounted in the rear site well.

I haven't shot for groups with a regular Garand but I shoot about an inch to 2 inches with my peep sighted CZ 452, 22, at 50 yards.

With a scope I've shot many groups at around a half inch at 100 yards, so my breathing and trigger pull should be okay.

I would be happy with consistent 4" groups at 100, and 8" groups at 200.

I think the culprit could easily be my sight picture because I didn't use a target that I could see that well.

If you are shooting 2" groups at 50 you're already a 4 MOA shooter. The NM front sight will improve matters greatly. High contrast targets also help bigtime. A 6" dayglo orange spot on a white background will give you tons of contrast. On a bright sunny day I can squeeze maybe 3" groups at 100yds out of my Bm59. That's about the best I can muster but I'm not 20 years old anymore. My 700PSS is another story. That shoots 1/2" groups but we're talking apples and oranges here.
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau

I'm curious to see how it shoots with the USGI sights. I cannot comment on the red dot as I know nothing of them. A group, to me, is 10 rounds. I would be happy personally with anything under 4" but 5" is just too much for me to swallow when I hunt.

Junior Cadet
    Quote Originally Posted by dross View Post
    Shot for groups today. Two 5 round groups at 100 yards. One group was 5", one was 6". Moved to 200 yards, 5 rounds, 11" group.

How does this compare to what you guys are used to?
    Hi, are you using sand bags or some other rest? When testing accuracy I use big red bulls and a six o'clock hold. I'm testing the rifle not me,Regards, Mike